What's new

High pressure break away connection

Knight01

Reaction score
Got to the wash last night to find this high pressure line disconnected at the boom. Is there a preferred brand or style of connection to use for these? I've never replaced one of these yet, so any advice is appreciated of what to expect. I read an old thread about brass vs stainless, are there any newer preferences? I'll have to order one today as

MEP001

Reaction score
Was the hose broken off at the boom?

I use a brass male-to-female fitting at the end of the boom, not a breakaway because they're deliberately weakened within the hex so you can easily remove a broken one with a wrench, but it's a weak point where it breaks too easily. With a regular non-weakened fitting, it's difficult to break but it will still break before there's damage to the boom. You just need an extractor to get the broken part out.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
I use a brass 90 degree connected to a brass straight swivel at the end on the boom.

These work pretty well. I sometimes use stainless if they are on sale for less than brass.
If you've never had to replace one of these, you must be new to the business. I always keep enough in stock to replace / repair at least three bays.
That's 3 90 degrees and 6 straights.
Plus always have spare guns, wands, hoses and nozzles.

Etowah

Randy

Reaction score
Tom, I've seen that before. Most of our booms have a 90 built into the end of the boom so we use a high pressure ball bearing swivel at the end of the boom, when the hose gets caught on a bumper the swivel will break at the end of the boom. At one wash we still use the Zierdan booms with a swivel about a foot from the end of the boom.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
When I first bought the wash the previous owner used just a 90 fitting on the boom, then the straight swivel.
I find everything works better and the straight swivels last longer without the side loading put on them without the 90 swivel.

MEP001

Reaction score
That's what a "swivel saver" hose is for, a one foot piece that goes into the boom so the swivel doesn't wear out from being pulled on. Kleen-Rite will make them male/female ends so you don't need any other fittings and it looks cleaner. The swivel saver outlasts a couple of bay hoses to the gun.