What's new

High leg smoked all 3 vacuum motors

sparkey

Reaction score
I got to the wash this morning and found a vacuum was not working. I checked it out fan found that the fuses for all 3 vacuum motors were blown. I couldn't get the fuses out of the fuse holders, so I bypassed all 3 fuses since none of my other vacuums have fuses at the motors. As soon as I put coins in the vacuum all 3 motors started to smoke. I checked my incoming voltage and discovered I had 130 volts of incoming power. I checked my 3 phase in the box and has 2 legs of 120v and one leg of 130v. This is not a new install and I have not changed anything in over a year. I don't think I used to have a high leg at least not this noticeable. I checked the neutral wiring and all seems good. Has anyone ever experienced one leg suddenly go high? I am going to contact the power company in the morning but I suspect I will just get the run around.

I am also surprised that the motors would smoke so fast at 130 volts. I am using these vac motors
https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-33...5-7-in-vacuum-motor-120-volt.aspx#description

MEP001

Reaction score
130V shouldn't have hurt the motors, but you might have gotten a voltage surge on that third leg. The motors were most likely smoked before you removed the fuses.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I am going to contact the power company in the morning but I suspect I will just get the run around.

I am also surprised that the motors would smoke so fast at 130 volts. I am using these vac motors
https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-33...5-7-in-vacuum-motor-120-volt.aspx#description
Based on experience, the local power company will typically put a monitoring device on with your meter. I agree that 130VAC alone should not have smoked the motors. The monitoring should tell the power company exactly what their transformers were & maybe still are doing. I do have smoked component memories of improperly hooking up a "a jumping around like crazy wild leg" ... that was my ignorance ... but the electrician who changed over to the wild leg 3 phase could have "communicated better" about the danger. I wonder how many of us "lower priority businesses" have the IMHO "not quite as nice" wild leg 3 phase.

Let us know how you come out. I wonder if there is ever a case where a power company reimburses anyone for damaged motors or solenoids or whatever from the malfunction of their power distribution???

sparkey

Reaction score
I called the power company today and they agreed that the voltage was to high on one leg and replaced a transformer on the pole. I am not sure its worth my time to try to get reimbursed for $100 worth of motors considering I will probably be on the phone for 30 minutes or longer and most likely it will get denied anyway.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Count your blessings if that's the only damage you walked out with is some vac motors. I would check every motor everything at the wash in detail your Lucky my freind