What's new

High leg loss protection

MEP001

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with a high-leg or third leg protection? I work with two washes that have a lot of issues with incoming power, mostly dropping a leg. One is 208 Wye and one is 240 Delta. I want something I can use to kill the 24V on loss. The ability to add notification will be helpful in the future, but for right now I just need to keep from having customers lose money and avoid burning up more motors/contactors/breakers.

water guy

Reaction score
Dealing with the same thing In The school system it's really a problem for LED Drivers for Emergency lights and led backup batteries too and it scares the crap out of me in the Carwash Industry too

MC3033

Reaction score
Kill the 24v meaning killing the control power so nothing turns on?

I’d take a look at automation direct, unless I’m misunderstanding they definitely have some options for what you are looking for. Look at phase monitoring devices.

OurTown

Reaction score
We dropped a leg a few months ago on a beautiful sunny calm day. Luckily nothing got fried but sure was aggravating. The 24v transformer was apparently on one of the other legs so the bays took money but as soon as the pumps kicked on it kicked the breakers. The computer for the auto was on the dropped leg so it put the auto cashier into out of service mode. I would like to get an alert for when we lose a leg.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Add a 3 phase monitoring relay and tie it into something that notifies you like your auto or alarm system. Even if you piggy back on to something that gets your attention.
We have lots of things tied together like low air pressure, low water pressure etc.

OurTown

Reaction score
Add a 3 phase monitoring relay and tie it into something that notifies you like your auto or alarm system. Even if you piggy back on to something that gets your attention.
We have lots of things tied together like low air pressure, low water pressure etc.

Lets say I get something like this:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Supco-T...gZJ--XuhTzZm5qC4sHT-zfGoXK3qgCrxoCZuoQAvD_BwE

Wiring seems simple enough but in order to put it on my monitored alarm would the monitoring company know what it was? What I'm getting at is when they call me now they can tell me if it is fire or burglary and they would call the appropriate place if I did not answer. What would they do if this tripped? Call the police? Maybe there is a category of "other" for the monitoring company to call me about but would not call the FD or PD?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Lets say I get something like this:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Supco-T...gZJ--XuhTzZm5qC4sHT-zfGoXK3qgCrxoCZuoQAvD_BwE

Wiring seems simple enough but in order to put it on my monitored alarm would the monitoring company know what it was? What I'm getting at is when they call me now they can tell me if it is fire or burglary and they would call the appropriate place if I did not answer. What would they do if this tripped? Call the police? Maybe there is a category of "other" for the monitoring company to call me about but would not call the FD or PD?
You would wire it in as normally closed like a door contact. Your alarm company should be able to designate whatever zone it is as a ‘supervisory’ zone only so they simply notify you rather than dispatch any police or fire and they should be able to name the zone. Almost all of our zones are set up as supervisory like low air pressure, automatic fail, low water, low temp, 3 phase loss etc.