What's new

Hi PH-what to use

Losito

Reaction score
I bought a new single arm Kondor. The machine is working ok, I’m using all Simoniz chemicals. Cars that come in some what dirty, are leaving with a visible layer of dirt. No matter what I try, I have up the chemical, dwell time and it’s not working. I also slowed down the passes with the high pressure pass. Any ideas?

washnshine

Reaction score
We need more information to help you:
Which Simoniz chemicals are you using?
Are you high/lo pH or just high
Have you titrated your chemicals?
Are you heating your water/chemical
Are your rocker panel sprayers wetting the whole car before your presoak is applied?
How many passes are you using?
What is your dwell time?
Are certain times of the year or certain types of soil worse?
Have you checked your water condition - TDS?

Losito

Reaction score
Big Bang is the chemical, low 1st than High. I did have the rep come out to measure and test the output. I do not have the rocker spray, only undercarriage. I’m doing 1 pass of low and 1 pass of high ph. 10 second dwell on each. I am not heating the small tank. Belanger can figure out why it’s not working. My water is not great according to my chemical rep. He suggested a water softener.

Attachments

washnshine

Reaction score
The first two things that come to mind would be temperature of the chemical and the softness of the water. After that, unfortunately a lot of operators have to experiment with different chemicals and dilutions to find the right mix to get the job done in their area/soil conditions. And even then, some operators have to go through seasonal changes to keep it cleaning effectively.

OurTown

Reaction score
Do you know what your water hardness is?

Losito

Reaction score
I agree, I just opened this site. I need to make some money 1st.

OurTown

Reaction score
Also 12 grains is probably hard on the RO membranes. Are you getting good spot free water?

washnshine

Reaction score
Sadly, without soft water, it's going to be hard for you to make any money. And any cars you are washing will be unlikely to return. You need to bite the bullet and buy the softeners quickly
Right on.

That softener should have been bundled in the price of the new machine. Get it sooner rather than later and chalk it up to part of the automatic install, even if it came a little after the fact.

BenBranam

Reaction score
If you don't get a water softener you probably need to use twice or more chemical to get the job done. Water softeners let the chemicals work. Without soft water the chemicals are literally cleaning the water you are putting it in and not cleaning the car.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Yep, water needs to be below 3 grains or so before you judge the machine or chemicals too harshly. Soft water will also extend the life of your RO membranes. You can use a smaller one for chemicals/RO only and should be able to purchase for 2K or so.

I have one wash that was originally set up to mix chemicals with RO water. You may want to see if that is an easy option for you to implement. But you will pay the cost in shorter RO membrane life and waste water usage( if you don't use your RO reject)

In the meantime if your are programmed for a lo ph pass first, swap to a high ph first, or two high PH passes and see if that improves.

Last edited:

soonermajic

Reaction score
Cheaper alternative is for you to prep all cars, 6 or 7 days/week, til you save enough for a Water softener.
Biggest issue with that is, customers will fall in love with that, & they will expect it. I have 2 preppers in front of my touchless, & NO WAY I can remove them now. Bit there are also LOTS of benefits in that. Only 1 drawback, & it's sizable, but the labor cost.
But I more than make up for it, by customers who LOVE the personal touch, my preppers, & they're there for any issues on the IBAs or SS bays, etc...

Losito

Reaction score
Belanger figured out the issue with the water heater, the soap is coming out hot now. This has definitely helped tremendously. The fix was a single wire, it took 2 seconds. This was not on the manual.