What's new

Here we go again. More frigid weather in the NE.

Kate Carr

Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone running the numbers on this winter compared to recent ones? I'm in Virginia Beach now, and several operators have mentioned this has been the worst winter on the books. When I visited my family over Christmas holiday in Watertown, NY, they weren't doing much better. Ice storm, followed by a 4-foot snowfall and then sub-zero temps and more snow. Interested to know how veteran Northern operators are handling things and if this "Polar Vortex" (gosh, what a lark) has been dragging you down. Also would be interested in hearing how the Southern and mid-West operators are handling snow/cold temps with creative solutions (like the ones MJWalsh has mentioned). Anyone taken a blowtorch to the floors yet?!

If you have hard figures on how this is affecting volumes and utility bills, please give me a shout either here or via e-mail katec@SSCWN.com. Considering a story for the next issue of Self Serve Carwash News -- but want to know the interest (and the facts) are there.

bigleo48

Reaction score
We'll I'm about 1hr away from Watertown NY. Nov and Jan have been very slow. Usually snow and ice are good for business up here, but so far the winter has been relentless. In order for us to capitalize on the weather, we need 'weather breaks', where the sun shines, its not so cold, streets dry up, etc. So far the 'weather breaks' have been almost non existent. We get frigid cold and when it warms up, we get non-stop snow...or worst rain! Not much in between. In the eight years I've had the wash, I have closed the IBA due to extreme cold more often this winter than ALL OTHER YEARS COMBINED!

As you can imagine, heating everything when nobody is washing creates a $ drain.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
TRue enough Bigleo!

We are just wrapping up a busy weekend; the first of its kind this winter washing season.

Thankful for this weather break so we can put some $$ in the bank.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
We are also Thankful for the weather break. It got to 60° yesterday to help set a record day. We can also put some $$$ in the bank just in time to pay the utilities! At least we won't have to dig into our pockets to pay the bills! Its been a brutal month.

60° on Saturday.....7+ inches of snow forcast by 8:00 am in the morning! What a roller coaster ride!

bigleo48

Reaction score
Friday was a big day here too...and Saturday was off to a great start...till the snow came, then a little rain and lightning. We woke up to snow in the form of cement. Lots more snow coming this week.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Here in Atlanta is was almost 70 today. The washes were crowded but I think the Super Bowl probably hurt the volume a little. Unfortunately they are forecasting rain for most of the rest of the week. Can't catch a break.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Its just not letting up! We got 6-7" Sunday night...More to come this evening. They are forecasting 1/2" of Freezing Rain for Southern Ohio.... I hope we end up getting the snow....

Randy

Reaction score
It’s our turn to be in the barrel now up here in the Pacific Northwest. Record lows for the next 5 days, snow this weekend. I shut down my car wash last night, there’s no sense in keeping it open if only a few customers are going to brave the cold. It's been a long hard winter.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Hey Randy....We haven't even been out of the barrel since the middle of November! I just checked and we won't see temps above freezing for the next 7 days....It HAS Been a Long Hard Winter.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Cold Cash

http://s703.photobucket.com/user/EarlWeiss/media/FrozenQuarters3x5.jpg.html?filters[/url][user]=92585273&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A. Why couldn't I do it?

B. Think we will get a post that dollar coins would solve this problem:)

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
A. Why couldn't I do it?

B. Think we will get a post that dollar coins would solve this problem:)
Earl,

When you click on your picture in photo bucket, right click it and select properties. In the properties there will be a link you have to copy. It looks like this "http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/EarlWeiss/FrozenQuarters3x5.jpg" inside the quotes. Then click on the little icon that looks like a square box here on the site when your posting. (Go advanced so you can preview your post.) A window will pop up promting you for the path to your photo. Paste the link in there and preview your post. It will let you see if you have it right before posting to the forum.

I don't know if dollar coins will solve the problem, just wished I had that problem cause I'd have 4 times more frozen money!

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/EarlWeiss/FrozenQuarters3x5.jpg

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
$1 coins won't solve it...but the size of the clump would be 4 times smaller.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Would they accept them at the bank like that?

Since dollar coins are a bit bulkier than quarters they would probably hold more body heat. In return, this would lengthen the amount of time it would take them to freeze into that clump. Clearly, they are the better choice ;)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
$1 coins won't solve it...but the size of the clump would be 4 times smaller.
Cantbreak80,

Hopefully, no mindless arguments will occur against your valid observation:)!

With overhead doors on both sides & heaters needed in the climate in our area ... coins frozen solid in thick ice is not a problem for us ... even if we had vaults. Oops ... lots of overhead door & heat expense could mean a lower margin of profit. :(

Hopefully, the higher denomination coins will still be viable in the future so it will help with leverage in keeping credit card fees & costs less drastic. Which was my main emphasis in the following letter to our local newspaper. Let me know if the following link is not seen by some of you ... I may have to correct it on the PhotoBucket website.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/mjw...bum/BisTribOctLetToEditor.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Mike Walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html

MEP001

Reaction score
Please don't get him going...

Too late...

Last edited: