What's new

Here we go again. More frigid weather in the NE.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
It does....I have recently been giving this some thought. Although, I wonder how much you would increase the likely hood of someone backing into the entrance wall or vac island. Unfortunately my vac islands are right outside the entrance. Its hard enough to keep people from hitting things when pulling straight in, let alone backing out! Fixing one thing sometimes has an equal and opposite reaction! I'm torn! :)

Thanks!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Forecast just updated to -13° for Monday night! Fun Fun Fun....

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It does....I have recently been giving this some thought. Although, I wonder how much you would increase the likely hood of someone backing into the entrance wall or vac island. Unfortunately my vac islands are right outside the entrance. Its hard enough to keep people from hitting things when pulling straight in, let alone backing out! Fixing one thing sometimes has an equal and opposite reaction! I'm torn! :)

Thanks!
2Biz,

I would not rule out a temporary sign "enter & exit from rear today" along with the tarp idea. Blocking even the non prevailing wind side of the car wash ... makes a huge difference ... in terms of the wind ... otherwise there is a "tunnel effect" where the wind seems to not only blow through but also accelerates. It is surprising when people need to back in & out like they normally do with their home garages ... that they become extra cautious & attentive under those conditions. We are a corner lot & we once had to reroute the car wash entrance in a very precarious way for about 6 weeks because of street-infrastructure work in front of our car wash ... surprisingly it worked out ... except that some of the RVs & trucks had to go to the rear of the wash to back in or out using the rear exit.

mike www.kingkoin.com

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
Just be glad you guys aren't here... -31C, feels like -43C with the wind. (-23F/-46F)
View attachment 581

(Click on the image and then again on the pop up if using IE to view)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Just be glad you guys aren't here... -31C, feels like -43C with the wind. (-23F/-46F)
View attachment 581

(Click on the image and then again on the pop up if using IE to view)
JeffM,

Our temperatures have been similar. This morning's local news mentioned Fargo had been asked to turn down their house temps to 60° F temporarily. I sure don't envy those car wash operators affected by the pipeline issue just south of Winnipeg. Last night I was actually thinking about your facility ... just in case it was also affected.

http://freakoutnation.com/2014/01/2...es-thousands-without-heat-in-subzero-weather/

Mike Walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Snowing in Atlanta right now. Most schools are closed or closing today and tomorrow.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
I actually live in one of the affected communities less than a 10 minute drive from where the pipeline exploded. (The city of Winnipeg was not affected) The entire area has been without natural gas since Saturday morning with the only saving grace being the outstanding community coming together to ensure everyone stays warm. Luckily, I have an electric furnace and was unaffected. Temporary bypass of the area has been completed and when I left for work today at 6am there were already crews going door to door checking on service and re-lighting pilot lights if necessary. There is expected to be over 200 utility workers in the area today to ensure service is restored to all 4000 homes.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Atlanta is closed. The freeways are closed. Many people are stranded in their vehicles. Cars are abandoned. People are sleeping in the supermarkets or anywhere they can get inside. Probably won't get much better today since it is supposed to stay in the 20's. It is supposed to get into the 60's by the weekend. So much for global warming.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
60s by the weekend...gonna be busy washing all that road salt off all those cars. Oh...wait...road salt?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah very brisk business here. dealt with a slipping belt on iba entry door mid-steam busy day. now relaxing w/coffee. yikes.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
WOW...Amazing stories coming out of Atlanta!

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
It's amazing how being unprepared for/not knowing how to handle such a small amount of snow can affect an entire city

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The city is still pretty much shut down this morning. Many businesses are going to try to open by noon depending on how much the ice and snow melts this morning. It is supposed to get up into the 40's and be sunny which should make the melting start. Right now there are still a lot of vehicles stranded on the roads. Sounds like their priority now is to get them off the road first then go after all those in ditches. By tomorrow things should be in better shape since it is supposed to be in the 50's. This weekend in the 60's should bring everything back to normal.

Atlanta has become a laughingstock for getting so crippled by 2 inches of snow. I got more like 4 inches but even with that this all should not have happened. The big mistake was not to salt and sand before it all hit. I think they were trying to save money by not doing it. If the roads would not have gotten so bad things would have been much better. The other problem was that the schools and businesses all closed at the same time in the morning which created a huge traffic jam. Even if there was no problem with the roads that would have created a mess.

Eric H

Reaction score
The other problem was that the schools and businesses all closed at the same time in the morning which created a huge traffic jam. Even if there was no problem with the roads that would have created a mess.
This happened up here in Boston a couple of years ago. The Govenor had decleared a state of emergency starting at 1 o'clock. All of the businesses and government offices closed at the same time and everyone tried to be on the road at the ame time. All of the plows and sanders got stuck in traffic and the whole city came to a standstill. Children stuck on busses for hours and when they finally got to the buss stop there was no one there to take young children because the parents were stuck in traffic.
Even the seasoned veterans get it wrong from time to time.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
We are on day 43 of below zero temps. Not just below zero alot of them have been -25 to -14 on average. Not ideal for washing cars, but we deal with it. Atlanta was hilarious to watch. I can't believe you would abandon your car and walk somewhere. I don't think that we would have even considered that weather slightly bad. Just a light dusting of snow. A couple days they called of school when it was -20 with heavy wind, but schools don't cancel much around here. If we tried to sleep at the home depot on a nice day like that, we would probably be held for a 48hr observation at the state Hospital.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Part of the problem was that many ran out of gas because they were stuck so long and many of the gas stations and c-stores ran out of gas because they couldn't get deliveries. They announced this afternoon that any remaining vehicles on the roads after 9 tonight will be towed by the state or city. Things are starting to melt quickly so the roads are now pretty clear.