What's new

Help!

Jason66

Reaction score
Hello. I have a full size pick up and this weekend I was doing a basic maintenance wash and noticed a hard substance almost around the entire truck. The past two weekends I went to a masonry yard to pick up some stone products and it's the only place that I could have picked up this dirt or whatever it is on my truck. The lot is extremely dusty. Does anyone recommend a product to remove this? I did use a clay bar and it does seem to work somewhat, but the tailgate is really bad and I am wondering if there is some sort of degreaser or solvent that I could use on the paint. The substance on my truck seems like it can be removed by using a finger nail, but you really need some elbow grease and I am afraid that I may really damage the paint. Thank you in advance.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
it's hard to know what it is based on your description. If it were some kind of cement I don't think the clay bar would touch it. I have tried to remove cement before with no success in. There are products that claim to work but they did not work for me.

If the Claybar is effective at all I would stick with that. Use plenty of lubricant and keep rolling your clay over and flattening it out. The chances of damaging the paint are lower this way. Good luck.

Jason66

Reaction score
it's hard to know what it is based on your description. If it were some kind of cement I don't think the clay bar would touch it. I have tried to remove cement before with no success in. There are products that claim to work but they did not work for me.

If the Claybar is effective at all I would stick with that. Use plenty of lubricant and keep rolling your clay over and flattening it out. The chances of damaging the paint are lower this way. Good luck.
Thanks. It's hard to describe what it is. It's like a hardened clay with a rough texture. It's very strange. The claybar seemed to work on the sides, but the tailgate is still pretty bad. I'll give it another try this week.

MEP001

Reaction score
Muriatic acid will remove cement, just don't get it on any chrome and neutralize it thoroughly.

MEP001

Reaction score
Baking soda mixed into water.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Makes sense thanks. When I purchased my locations I first clean them with pure muriatic acid and a hp washer. After, I tell the guys to cut it with water but I don't think they have always been doing so because I noticed the mortar between the brick or tile is starting to deteriorate, Im thinking its from the acid.....