What's new

Help with weird Rowe Changer issue.

slash007

Reaction score
I got a complaint that one of my Rowe changers would take $ and not dispense quarters. My attendant said he put in 4 separate $1 bills and it did the same each time. Took the money and not quarters given. I found it odd as it should have shut down after the first bill. I just tested it and if you put in a $5 or $10 bill, it gives you proper change. Put in a $1 and it takes it and you hear the motor running, but no change given and no error inside on the display. When the $1 is inserted, it does say the usual on the display inside, but no quarters are dispensed. What could cause something like that?

Randy

Reaction score
Boy that is a weird problem. What do you mean by “the motor is running”? Are you talking about the motor in the validator or the Hopper motor? If you’re using a Mars validator all the payout signals go through the same line. My guess would have to be control board issue, because the Hopper is working on the other denominations. What model Rowe changer is it?
On a side note. Rowe has been sold again. They were bought up by American Changer. Probably at a bargain basement price.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I'll bet your $1 in quarters in going into the $5 or $10 escrow hopper. The next $5 or $10 inserted will get all the coins shorted from the $1 bills.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
On a side note. Rowe has been sold again. They were bought up by American Changer. Probably at a bargain basement price.
I knew they lost their GM, but not that they had been sold. I hope that American can do something with them.

Last edited:

slash007

Reaction score
By motor running I guess I mean you hear what sounds like the money going to the hopper, but nothing drops. I didn't count when I put in a $5, so maybe the money from the $1's is going there. It's a Rowe 2800, the 2 side by side model. I am using a Mars validator. If I find that the $1 quarters are going into the escrow for the $5 and $10, what would that mean? What should be the first thing I look for or try?

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
If I find that the $1 quarters are going into the escrow for the $5 and $10, what would that mean? What should be the first thing I look for or try?
Lube the flapper that diverts the coins to the different hoppers. Has always worked for me.

slash007

Reaction score
Guess I could try to lube the flapper. Didn't even know that's how it worked lol. I'm guessing the flapper is easy to find? I converted to Mars using a kit I bought on eBay years ago. Forgot the name of the vending company. It's not the EV method that removes the buckets. There is a control box, so maybe that could be an issue? I could always swap with the other changer to confirm I guess.

slash007

Reaction score
We got rid of all of the crap Rowe changers we had and went Hamilton with a Mars validators, no more bill changer problems.
In 7 years the only issues I've had are replacing the laser that detects the coins once on each hopper side and having to clean the hopper track 3-4 times over all those years. Been bulletproof otherwise. That's with Mars acceptors. 1st 3 months using the old Rowe acceptors I had issues daily.

slash007

Reaction score
Well, I went in this afternoon to test and work on the changer, but put in the first $1 and it worked. Tested a few more bills and all worked. No idea what changed. Guess I'll have to wait for it to act up again lol.

Bigsambo

Reaction score
Might be a good idea to check the solenoid that is actuating the flapper for the $1 escrow bucket. I've had ours start to go out and sometimes it would drop the change and sometimes it wouldn't. If this was the problem and the hopper was still running the next person it works for would get the extra change. The coin detector never got blocked up because the problem was intermittent so someone else was always getting the stolen change. I also agree that you should lubricate the moving parts of the escrow buckets. I think it does make a difference.

Bigsambo

Reaction score
Well in the rowe manual I found it recommends 3 in 1 electric motor oil for the pivot points.