What's new

Help with spot free delivery pump

slash007

Reaction score
My spot free delivery pump on my JC self serve stand seems to be locked up. It makes noise and gets hot then shuts off, so I assume the motor is not spinning. I had it quit a couple of times in the past month as it seems a check valve on one of the spot free lines has failed and water was going to the pump. Each time I would just relive the pressure and run the pump and it would work again. Of course I should have gone ahead and replaced all of the CV's, but I kept putting it off.

Anyhow, would back pressure to the pump cause it to lock up, and if so, is it possible to fix it, or is the pump ruined?

MEP001

Reaction score
What pump is it? Backflow to a multistage pump shouldn't harm the pump, but backpressure could damage the seals. A Procon pump will get damaged by backpressure, but it should still run.

Randy

Reaction score
That’s a multi-stage booster pump replacement stack/cartridge. If you’ve been getting been getting pieces of white plastic in your solenoid valves I would have to say that the pump stack/cartridge in your booster pump has failed. Those pumps are very expensive.

slash007

Reaction score
They are expensive, but it seems there is a replacement stack option. I actually have a spare pump since this pump stand had another one on it used for an IBA, but I wanted to see if there was a way to fix it before swapping them. I could probably just swap the cartridge if that is where the issue is.

MEP001

Reaction score
It doesn't sound like it's worth fixing. It may be something mechanical that keeps it from starting, but if the motor is failing too I don't see it worth fixing. It's much cheaper to replace with a Procon, easier to service in the future, and it produces more pressure.

slash007

Reaction score
I swapped Sta-Rite pumps today and spot free delivery was back up and running, but I ended up with a leak in one of my flow meters. Not sure if it was just loose or I somehow cracked it, but either way I finished it off. Any idea if there is a replacement fitting that I could purchase, or would I have to replace the whole thing? I honestly can't even figure out which size I need exactly. It's off of a Jim Coleman Sparkle Clean unit.

Thanks.
20210602_171723.jpg 20210602_170413.jpg

Randy

Reaction score
You might contact King instrument and ask them if you can get that broken piece from them or from another source, those flometers aren't cheap.

slash007

Reaction score
Anyone here by chance have an extra gray fitting that goes into that flow meter I posted earlier?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I use Dwyer flow meters on my pump stand and replaced all the compression fittings with SMC push connects. My Dwyer meters have a Stainless Steel BSPP threaded insert that has a 1/16-27 threaded female output. I would suggest finding something similar.

If you look closely at yours, the grey fitting has an O'ring that seats it which indicates it should be a BSPP fitting. On mine the threads are Straight where they go into the flowmeter. This is how a BSPP thread and insert works...Check to see if your threads are tapered or straight in the flowmeter. As for the size, good question. Its hard to tell by just looking at it. Try finding somewhere close to you that sells the fittings and see which one fits. Fastenal comes to mind if you have one close by.

Last edited:

slash007

Reaction score
Thanks for that information. I was really fittings ignorant, had never heard of BSPP. Will figure out the size and try to find a fitting.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
The BSPP threads are very common in industrial manifolds. The abbreviation stands for British Standard Pipe Parallel.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I guess it could also be an SAE O'Ring Port too. Same configuration as the BSPP only the US version. More homework!

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Slash, were you able to locate the gray fitting on you flow meter? I was replacing a spot free pump from the freeze down here in Texas and I found out that 2 of my 3 flow meters are broken as well at the same fitting.

slash007

Reaction score
Slash, were you able to locate the gray fitting on you flow meter? I was replacing a spot free pump from the freeze down here in Texas and I found out that 2 of my 3 flow meters are broken as well at the same fitting.
Unfortunately not yet, but truthfully I have been busy and haven't spent much time on it. If you figure anything out, please let me know. I'll do the same.

toddmullens

Reaction score
My spot free delivery pump on my JC self serve stand seems to be locked up. It makes noise and gets hot then shuts off, so I assume the motor is not spinning. I had it quit a couple of times in the past month as it seems a check valve on one of the spot free lines has failed and water was going to the pump. Each time I would just relive the pressure and run the pump and it would work again. Of course I should have gone ahead and replaced all of the CV's, but I kept putting it off.

Anyhow, would back pressure to the pump cause it to lock up, and if so, is it possible to fix it, or is the pump ruined?
Most of the time this is just a bad start capacitor. $10 on Amazon