What's new

Help with Hoses/Tubes (upgrades)

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I bought an old wash that I have owned for a year now. I have upgraded all the hoses/tubes from the equipment room to the booms. Ive done new meter boxes, guns, brushes, etc... basically everything the consumer comes in contact with. I am looking at updating my hoses and tubes inside the equipment room, Im sure its only a matter of time before they fail and have me shut down as most are old. I have attached some pictures (No Laughing!)

Would like yalls advice on the following:

I have been told my tanks are overkill and everyone is now using stainless....these plastic tanks are very old but I don't see why I need to upgrade them?
If I keep them I would like to re-do the "fitting" that inserts from the bottom and I am wondering what is the best kind to use? They used some sealant that is starting to breakdown in the tank which obviously isn't good. Do you have to use sealant?
What hoses are you guys using from your chemicals to the hydrominders? I have like 3 different kinds as pictured, not sure which one is correct.
All the hydrominders (dema) are working but are extremely old. Do I wait until they fail to replace or replace them all when I do the hoses?

Anything you guys see in my setup that you don't like?
carwash3.jpg carwash1.jpg carwash2.jpg carwash4.jpg carwash5.jpg

MEP001

Reaction score
If the plastic tanks are still pliable, I wouldn't replace them unless you can get a good deal on a used set of stainless tanks.

I would definitely replace those hoses that have a crimped on steel fitting. Those are the most likely to give you problems. It looks like someone used "push lock" hose on most where there is pressure. It lasts for decades. The clear braided stuff is okay, it's just bad about getting hard and inflexible.

I don't like using sealant on a bulkhead fitting. They work better with a gasket, and they usually either come with one or you can use a chemical resistant gasket material and make one. Kleen-Rite has a wide range of sizes.

mac

Reaction score
My god, is that a system built by Duboise? They built absolutely horrible stuff. I would look around on eBay and other sites for a used complete system. If you follow closely you can find them for well under 10K. It will take up about 1/3 the space that yours does, and give you a better system. For instance most of their stuff did not even have motor overloads to protect the motors. The tanks are way overkill. If you do this when removing the old, do a good acid and pressure wash and then paint the room. Not as much work as it sounds and you will be delighted with the results.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I had all plastic tanks sort of similar to yours. I upgraded all of them:
- the large gravity feed tank for the pumps - the bottom was bowed from the weight of the water, and eventually it always leaked from the fittings on the bottom. Flat fittings on a rounded bottom, not a good fit. I tried caulk, new gasket, new bulkhead fitting... Quickly got smart (er) and replaced the tank. The new one is also plastic, but I set it on top of a piece of scrap aircraft aluminum, used new bulkhead fittings with new gaskets, and put in one fitting for each bay so I could shut off one at a time for maintenance.
- the large hydrominder tanks took up WAY too much space. When I wanted to add more functions, I replaced 3 large plastic tanks with 9 small stainless tanks (from etowah valley), and it still takes up less space and doesnt leak.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I think I see a couple galvanized fittings, they will eventually cause issues. Replace them sooner rather than later.