What's new

Help troubleshooting a 2900 water softener...

starion

7SS 2IBA
Reaction score
I have a three-tank system with a computer. Two of the tanks will not regenerate (i.e. hard water before and after service cycle).

It was suggested that they weren't drawing brine, which I think I have confirmed, IF my basic assumptions are correct which are:

The line to the brine tank serves two functions, to pull brine from the brine tank and to refill it as the last step of the cycle.

I pulled the line off the brine tank to one of the 2900 heads, and it has water pressure on it all the time, no suction at any point in the cycles.

The screens are clear, the pushbutton on the brine valve is not stuck near as I can tell.

Thoughts or directions I should take?

MEP001

Reaction score
That happens when the seals and spacers in the head need to be replaced. Either the seals are rotted or the spacers are collapsed, and the water isn't directed through the right slots. They're easy to replace.

ccola#1

Reaction score
If you have water pressure,on brine line you have a bad brine valve on one of the three tanks,check each tank at the head to see which brine valve is bad and replace.

starion

7SS 2IBA
Reaction score
Actually, I have water pressure on both of the working tanks, so they must both be bad. (The third tank hasn't been "softening" water for some time, but it may have the same issue.) The two tanks have worked as recently as a few weeks ago.

Would anyone be so kind as to post the part numbers I need from the book and suggestions on where I might order them?

Also, I have no idea how to disassemble the head on these things. I guess if I get it unscrewed off the top of the bottle, I'm ahead? Or do I even need to do that?

MEP001

Reaction score
You don't need to remove the head to replace the seals. Just disconnect the tube that connects to the brine valve, take the two bolts off that hold the plate to the head and pull it off. The piston will come out attached to the head. You might want to open one or both and check the condition of the pistons before you order parts. They're Teflon-coated brass, and once the coating wears off the piston corrodes pretty quickly.

Try discountwatersofteners.com. I don't know if they sell parts; if they don't I know a guy who does.

Manual with parts list available here: http://www.fleckvalves.com/Commercial/CommercialProductsPages/2900/2900_series.htm

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
ccola#1 said:
If you have water pressure,on brine line you have a bad brine valve on one of the three tanks,check each tank at the head to see which brine valve is bad and replace.
Not with a Fleck softener. The brine valve doesn't control whether there's pressure or suction, it just opens and closes. The position of the piston and flow of water controls whether there's pressure or suction on the brine line.

starion

7SS 2IBA
Reaction score
So, at the moment there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus as to how to fix the problem.

I do have the manual on this, but the reason I asked for part numbers is because there are hundreds of parts listed, I have no clue what I am looking for to replace.

I would be more than happy to read some kind of maintenance guide on these things if I could find one. Otherwise, I am left to having to ask questions here :)

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
So, at the moment there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus as to how to fix the problem.

I do have the manual on this, but the reason I asked for part numbers is because there are hundreds of parts listed, I have no clue what I am looking for to replace.

I would be more than happy to read some kind of maintenance guide on these things if I could find one. Otherwise, I am left to having to ask questions here :)
I would stick to what MEPOO1 has to say. Based on what I've seen here, he knows what he is talking about when it comes to water softeners.

MEP001

Reaction score
There is an upper and a lower piston - the upper controls the cycles. That's the one that needs the seals and spacers. There is a kit for that which isn't listed in any of the manuals, but you should be able to order it by name.

starion

7SS 2IBA
Reaction score
Thought I would post a reply with my solution/results on this issue for future generations. Thank you to all the suggestions and advice. Here is the complete problem and my solution.

Problem: Fleck 2900 downflow with a 1700 brine valve system has water pressure on the side port constantly, instead of just during the refill cycle.

Solution: Ordered a handful of fleck part numbers from Kim Supply, really dirt cheap when you consider that this valve will cost you $100+ as a whole.

13201 O-Ring/End Plug (didn't really need, but cheap and might as well replace, 1 needed, less than $1)

14811 Piston Seals (mine were squashed, but would have worked. Replaced anyway, cheap and easy, 2 needed per valve less than $1 each)

14798 Spacers (mine were broken, and the root cause of water pressure being on the side port all the time, about $4-5 each, only one per valve needed)

I did order a piston (14795), the most expensive part (less than $18), but decided that although mine were worn, they were still smooth. My old ones worked fine, but time will tell.

All in all, it takes less than 5 minutes to repair this valve, 10 if you include installing it. One of the easier rebuild things I've done here. About $8 per valve in parts. One of the cheaper rebuild things I've paid for.

I had several places tell me that it wasn't recommended to rebuild the valve, but everything seemed to work for me. Again, time will tell and I will report any issues that may come up.

Woo hoo! I have soft water again on all 3 of my tanks! And for way less than I thought it would cost.

Last edited:

starion

7SS 2IBA
Reaction score
I will pull one back apart and do a picture/how-to series on it, maybe even a video, depends on how bored I am. Give me a few days.