What's new

Help repairing Fleck 9000 water softener?

Mchas

Reaction score
I have a Fleck 9000 mechanical head that is washed out and the valves/seals are old anyway so I need to replace the whole head. I bought what I thought was the right part but after receiving it I noticed it was quite different and after googling for hours I now believe they make a 3/4" meter version and a 1" meter version and my old one is the 1" but the replacement part I ordered arrived and it appears to be 3/4"? I have searched all over and it is basically impossible to find a 1" version so I am not sure if that is correct or not. I am being told by the company that I bought this new head from that they don't make the older style one anymore and that the valves are all 3/4" and they make an adapter to fit the 3/4" meter on the 1" line. (the Fleck manual still shows diagrams for a 3/4" meter and a 1" meter, but maybe the manual hasn't been updated in years?)

I also notice other differences though - the dial on my existing head goes to ~50 and the new one only goes to ~20, the meter is in a different spot, and the meter cable is a different length.

My question is - can I use this new 3/4" version that I bought, and if so, how do I easily do that? Will the lower dial maximum matter? (on my old one, the capacity was set to ~20 so it seems like it should be ok?)

Here are pictures of the old and new parts for comparison.

dialOld.jpg
dialNew.jpg

meterOld.jpg
meterNew.jpg

Thanks for any advice!!

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
The new one has a different type of meter than the old one, which is why they look different.

Have you considered replacing just the brass head and not the entire thing?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
So, how often do you need to regenerate? Isn't this one is going to force a regeneration more frequently if your water if on the softer side?

I like the electronic heads.

Mchas

Reaction score
The new one has a different type of meter than the old one, which is why they look different.

Have you considered replacing just the brass head and not the entire thing?
Yes but the valves/seals/etc are worn out anyway so I would like to replace the whole thing. It’s 20 years old.

Mchas

Reaction score
So, how often do you need to regenerate? Isn't this one is going to force a regeneration more frequently if your water if on the softer side?

I like the electronic heads.
My current one is set to 20 so I think it should work?

I might have to go with an electronic one if I have to. Can anyone point me to an equivalent 1” version?

MEP001

Reaction score
May be it, doesn't say if it's 3/4 or 1":

Mchas

Reaction score
Any other suggestions for how I can make this work?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Yes but the valves/seals/etc are worn out anyway so I would like to replace the whole thing. It’s 20 years old.
Looks like you found THE water softener forum . You'll get expert advice from "Bannerman" and "dittohead".

For Pentair parts and equipment, "dittohead" will likely hook you up with a dealer in your area.

FWIW, 20 year old resin is likely at end-of-life...especially if it's treating chlorinated municipal water.

Mchas

Reaction score
I am trying everything I can to get this softener back in service. That’s part of the issue now - I just had the resin replaced but then the company couldn’t find the right head so now I am trying to figure that part out myself. So I have good tanks and brand new resin but need a new head. In hindsight it would have been easier to just scrap the whole thing and start over but it’s too late for that now.

MEP001

Reaction score
Call softenerparts.com and they will get you the right head.