What's new

HELP! Looking for an effective High PH Presoak

Wash Concepts

Reaction score
I am looking for a high PH pre-soak that will get the "eyebrow" clean on the winshield and really clean a car well. Any suggestions?

MEP001

Reaction score
To get the "eyebrow" clean you'd do better with low pH.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use CAR products as well. The Hi and lo ph soaps are very good imo.

Reaction score
Eyebrow

I have not seen a soap that would get the eyebrow off , and the back of suv's is just as hard to clean, I also thought high ph was a single chemical and a low ph was the first or second pass of a two stage soap process.

carwashexpress

Reaction score
Best process I have found is High ph, HP rinse then low ph , HP rinse. This process removes the grime and most of the road film allowing the low ph presoak to get to the mineral based soils and the eyebrow. There is no "miracle" soap available. I suggest you put pressure on your soap distributor and work together to find the best for your equipment and soil types. Avoid "mail order " chems as not all soaps work the same in different climates , soil types , etc. This is where a good distributor can far offset a little higher price.

Robert
rgreene@carwashexpressinc.com

washhut

just washing
Reaction score
Robert,

What type of soil do you have in your area? I am in Utah and have alkaline soil. We're also dealing with the eyebrow issue.

Also, what equipment are you using? Do you have soaking times before the HP Rinse? If so, how long are you soaking?

Thanks! I'm pretty new so your help is greatly appreciated.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Eyebrow is a difficult but to crack..

We have alkiline soil, I've tried different combinations and have hi and low here. Tritiated at the recommended best level. I dwell the first pass 20sec, second pass 35 seconds.. Tried base base and vehicles were very clean,was best on bugs, but still some eyebrow. Running base first then acid currently. Brow till there, not horrible but still there if you look for it. Considering base base again as the bugs are getting thicker.. (Using ryko cc360)

Only thing I haven't tried yet is car wash expresses setup. Base HP acid HP. Sounds great for sure.. but trying not to add time to the wash or additional dilution of presoak. We'll see.

My only concern with base base and long dwells is any potential problems on clear coat worn off parts or cars.

BBE

Reaction score
+1 on CAR products. We use them as well. Also make sure you are allowing enough dwell time.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Carwash operators have been trying to remove windshield eyebrows with touch-less for decades without much success.

Those that succeed usually resort to adding HCL or ABF or similar strong acid to detergent.

Most effective way to rid eyebrow is friction cleaning.

soapy

Reaction score
Why don't you provide a self prep bucket and brush in front of the auto bay. Sign that says " Prep for Windows and tire and wheels". It has been working for me for over 20 years.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I bought the service station type trash cans with the place for a windshield squeegee. I lose a squeegee once in a while, but the whole thing costs less than 3 bucks so it's no big deal.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I cut the top off a 55 gal barrel and keep soapy water and a wash brush in there. it's at the entrance to my iba. don't even have a sign; customers get the point and those that want to can use it. it's another spiff, like our free towel dry station. it's touches like these that create loyalty. both ideas i got from soapy.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Waxman and soapy does providing the soap bucket/prep brushes slow up the wait time on IBA busy days Friday Saturday Sunday when you have 10+ cars lined up and someone spends 5+mins prepping how do you guys work this just out of curiosity. Thanks never seen anyone in NC do this I could how this can benefit the customer but hurt the operator or help maybe I should try this. Thanks Thomas.

mrfixit

Reaction score
At first didn't realize this thread was 5 years old, but since its active...

We've done the prep bucket for 12 years actually. This year I haven't put the 5gal bucket out.. Controversial I know.

Im wanting to stop offering the free somewhat detrimental service. Hand bay revenue has increased as a result. The wash is almost 90-95% effective without prep bucket, now. I've been working day and nite to make it do its job.. Some say you only need a prep bucket if your wash doesn't work good.... right now its better than ever. So...

Reason I don't like it is because in our rual area it becomes a bucked of dirt water with grit and people rub it on thier car causing scratches. Kinda takes from the point of a touch less.

Also some people will pull one dip and proceed to scrub thier whole entire dry car rubbing dirt & grit, gravel dust/sand, break dust ect. into the paint. Terrible for the finish. Also when its hot out the brake dust residue can dry fast on the car and it doesn't like to come off.

Many have even carried the prep bucket to the ss bay and used it to scrub thier entire car.. Another loss of revenue.

So basically I feel I'm doing them a favor.. After 10 years of bucket, I've only had a couple question it in my market..We have improved the wash quality quite a bit to be able to get a good car without it.. 95% of bugs are removed. If its been a long time with baked on bugs they need to go to ss.

If you wash is highly effective you dont need it, but if its not effective you kinda do.... To me its like, You don't make money off free dirty brush and bucket, it does leave micro scratches or worse on the bumpers or car..

The picky ones have gone and prepped in the hand bay then gone through the auto... Thats an extra $ 1.50 minimum - and also the right way for the customer to do it.

Different markets may have better results where the cars are cleaner.

So its into bug season for a bit now.. If I can maintain a 90%+ car. I won't be putting it back out.. We'll see....

We have the best carwash in 30+ miles so its not much of a concern of loyalty. I feel as the professional iys my job to do what is best for the consumer and our wash.

For us every loss of revenue is less maintenance budget. There's a lot of maintenance; that is, and will be needed at our site.

Its a hassle for us, and with the gravel roads around here a bucket can be trashed in one car..

Last edited:

mrfixit

Reaction score
Waxman and soapy does providing the soap bucket/prep brushes slow up the wait time on IBA busy days Friday Saturday Sunday when you have 10+ cars lined up and someone spends 5+mins prepping how do you guys work this just out of curiosity. Thanks never seen anyone in NC do this I could how this can benefit the customer but hurt the operator or help maybe I should try this. Thanks Thomas.
Yes it happens, nothing you can do short of being there.

Other customers get extremely frustrated in that situation. Another reason contributing to my decision.

But believe me, customers do like it.
It can make you stand out in your market. Each situation/CW is different

wash4me

Reaction score
I cut the top off a 55 gal barrel and keep soapy water and a wash brush in there. it's at the entrance to my iba. don't even have a sign; customers get the point and those that want to can use it. it's another spiff, like our free towel dry station. it's touches like these that create loyalty. both ideas i got from soapy.
What type of soap do you use and at what concentration?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
lots of cars need some friction to clean bugs, etc. the d.i.y. prep bucket lets the customer get a stubborn spot or 2 on their own if they wish. if they want fully touch free, they skip the prep bucket. don't make it out to be more complex than it is; i am simply offering customers a choice; prep yourself or not.

the bucket seldom slows the line.

i use a small amount of my iba wash soap; a powdered mix that i soup up with foam additive etc.