What's new

Help, How would you respond?

soapy

Reaction score
I have both Wash Gear and Etowah valley credit card readers in my washes. Both have been a hit. With Wash gear I am getting about $500 per bay per month and around $350 per bay with etowah valley. I would add CC to my bays if I did not have them. Perhaps If Red dropped his preauthorization amount down to $10 he would see fewer complaints. Probably less than 5% of my customers use more than that and I hardly ever get complaints about the preauthorization amount.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I wonder why you haven't seen good results?
* Displays are nearly impossible to read.
* Counter-intuitive operation that requires the customer to press the off button on the Wash Gear box to stop charging their card, rather than simply turning the selector to off on the meterbox.

I have detailed instructions by the CC box now, but those we lost, we lost.

MEP001

Reaction score
Red Baron said:
* Counter-intuitive operation that requires the customer to press the off button on the Wash Gear box to stop charging their card, rather than simply turning the selector to off on the meterbox.
The D.A.N. is that way too, and that was our biggest problem. I would routinely see someone turn the switch to "STOP" and leave it running, and several times a week someone would call and complain that they were overcharged. I used a programmable relay to end the CC transaction when "STOP" is selected and did away with the button.

packerscw

Reaction score
I doubt he is going to build a brAnd new wash when your town has two washes.he is for sure just trying to scare you into selling..don't loose sleep over it

kentadel

Reaction score
Update on guy that wants my wash or will build a new one

So the guy calls again, asking if I will sell, and I tell him that if he is really serious, make me an offer, and he says he will talk to his banker and meet me at my wash with an offer. Also that he has a lot purchased in town and will build if
I do not sell. I informed him that this small town will not support three washes, and that I am spending a lot of money with a new auto and items in the self service bays, and that I have the established wash. He responds by saying he is a young guy who is snatching up washes as fast as he can, and that his name carries a lot of weight in other towns, and he plans on running some of the competition out of business. I did tell him that he would not run me out. So Do I tell him, if he is no where near my price, that I can afford to make it very difficult for him to succeed? That I could lower my prices if I wanted to, or just say welcome to town, and I wish you well for as long as you last?

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
Arrogant little $hit huh? Even though it may be a good thing to sell, my competitive side would say "bring it on baby"!

kentadel

Reaction score
Thats what I am leaning toward. Let him come in. I think he is planning on self service bays only with a detail bay also. He wants to offer more bays than I do. Maybe I should add a bay before he builds, or maybe just add all the bells and whistles to the two I have now. At any rate, I shouldn't let this bother me, life is too short!

JustClean

Reaction score
I would try to find out as much as possible about him. Just ask him. He seems so full of himself that he is happy to tell you. Where is the property, which bank is he with, what equipment he is going to buy, etc., etc. If you can't agree on the price don't cut ties. Keep your friends close - and your enemies closer! Although the wish is there to do something nasty to him it won't help your cause. However, I would let him know after getting all infos that you finally paid off the loan due to an inheritance and you can afford to cut prices to keep your customer numbers the same with or without his competition.

kentadel

Reaction score
That's a good idea, I will try to treat him nice and stay polite. But I will definitely have to bite my tongue!

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Find out a little information about the guy. Find his other washes and look up the property records to see if they're owned under the same name. Then check to see if any properties sold to that same entity in your town. Go visit your building department and find out if any permits have been granted or applied for to build a wash. If you do find a lot has been purchased, check it out and see if there are any obstacles he will have to overcome like variances. You could talk to the neighboring properties and convince them to oppose the variance if needed.

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
If he really does come to town I wouldn't tell him anything about lowering prices....BUT...the minute the first shovel of dirt is turned over the game is on.

He is in for a penny and almost a pound at that point...a vacant lot with a hole in the middle can still be sold.

Bottom line...cheaper way to go and faster r.o.i if he buys your existing and this doosh knows that. Don't let him pull your leg....

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Be careful what all you put on this forum. I wouldn't be surprised if he is reading along finding out what you are up to.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Win or lose, Price wars are not fun. Bottom line is it will be more work for less money. I still say if he can swing the right deal for you to jump on it. Just don't finance anything. Pride goes before the fall. With an attitude like that he is a bankruptcy waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Be careful what all you put on this forum. I wouldn't be surprised if he is reading along finding out what you are up to.
Umm...good point! If he owns other washes like he says he does, surely he's stumbled upon this site.

guitarandy

Reaction score
Bottom line...cheaper way to go and faster r.o.i if he buys your existing and this doosh knows that. Don't let him pull your leg....
This is exactly right. What ever price he names you can justly add one years revenue to it. That is what he will be missing out on while he builds the new wash.

kentadel

Reaction score
You all were right on this guy. He made a token offer, and I am sure he thought I would panic sell. I talked with the people at zoning, and they have not visited with anyone on new construction, on any business, unfortunately, in quite a while.

packerscw

Reaction score
Yea now if zoning hasn't talked to anyone in a while then I would say he is just bluffing