What's new

Help going to Tokens

Reaction score
I am starting renovating an old wash and getting the majority of the equipment from another guy's wash in town that is going to be demolished for development. He has a Standard Change Maker (label says Indianapolis, Indiana) that I am going to be getting from him. I want to change for tokens at my site. The new meter boxes I have ordered will come with a Slugbuster 2.

I dont know anything about the wash biz and I am of the understanding the Slugbuster can be programmed to take the token no problem. What do I need to do with the change maker? Is there a mod kit to run the tokens or can it simply be programmed as well?

I visited a few sites in my area that use the tokens below. The one has a small "HM" which I assume means Hoffman Mint. Any tips on tokens to use and who to source from?

245126995_934263330821706_6208253780351836437_n.jpg

MEP001

Reaction score
You might consider switching to something besides Slugbuster II if it's not too late. Slugbuster II will take a dollar coin and give only a quarter credit, and it can only take a quarter and one other coin. If you have any plan to accept and/or vend dollar coins, don't use Slugbuster II.

The changer can be set to dispense whatever you want in quantity, but you may be limited in the size of token you can use. A .984 token should dispense from it as-is, but larger ones won't without modifying the hopper if it can even be modified. I know very little about Standard changers.

Randy

Reaction score
The top token is a bi-metal token from Van Brook or from Tokens direct, they are the same company.

The middle token is a IDX high security token that is only used in IDX coin acceptors.

The third token is a cheap Hoffman & Hoffman token.

I suggest you get tokens from every car wash within 20 miles of your location and then call the different token manufactures and request samples. I’d got with a high security token, Hoffman & Hoffman tokens are for the most part garbage tokens. Van Brook and Tokens direct have a good selection of high security tokens, but forwarded they aren’t cheap. A good quality token is going to expensive. I’d go with something that is bigger than a dollar coin, a 1.074 is a good size token.

I’d go with a Micro-coin QL coin acceptors and a Dixmor LED-7 or LED-6 timer.

What model Standard bill changer are you getting? Some of the older Standard changers parts are getting hard to come by.

Roz

Reaction score
We inherited a very old Standard Changer Model 500 that looks to be from 50 years ago. It is on its last legs and going to be replaced since it rejects too many bills and is missing parts like a bill holder. The wash we are renovating also has Slugbuster II coin mechs - not a great mech but they work. The tokens the previous owner sold to customers (and gave to PD and EMS) vend a complete starting price for the wash ($3) so you can program the Slugbuster II, just download and read the manual (which I need to do too if we keep them). My other renovations we swapped the SBII for IDX. We are are much happier with the IDX - was worth the upgrade expense. Just to age the wash the pumps are Monorail dinosaurs - but again they work.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
Tokens may still be a good idea in your area, but here in PA, almost all washes have done away with them. The customers do not want to break a 20 and have to keep track of tokens for future visits. I know it can be a couple extra bucks for the tokens that are not redeemed, but I would not have token only changers. You would also need to have all your vacs and vending set up to accept the tokens. Unless you like to deal with complaints.
Credit cards are, unfortunately the way to go. I was slow to switch to cards. I'm only three years in, but now about a two thirds of my business is with cards.