What's new

Help? Gantry issue

Etowah

smith property

Reaction score
Hello I have a ryko overhead touch free system that is a 2003 model. The issue I've been having is that it will not move from either front or back of a vehicle once it stops. this is intermitin it will wash 6 cars then on the 7th it will mess up. I can hear the motor running but it is not moving. I know its jamming up somewhere but I'm at a loss. Ive changed the drive motor, gear box, both gears on the shafts out of the gear box, and I've adjusted belts tightening and loosening them to try and fix this. I've noticed that when I loosen the right side belt it gets less frequent but then the belt is so loose its about to fall off but when I tighten it the gantry won't move at all or if it does its jumpy till it gets rolling. Any advice would be appreciated Thanks.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
I would suspect it's most likely related to the idler wheels that move up/down the track. If not maintained properly, they could seize and potentially flat spot which would cause them to drag up/down the track or even cause it not to move. Please see the attached bulletin for information in how to maintain the wheels.

Attachments

Ryko CS

Reaction score
If you loosen the gantry drive belts, jack the machine up just slightly to get it so the wheels are off the track. If you manually try to rotate them, is there any grit? Have the wheels actually been removed to grease them? May want to use emory cloth on the idler wheel shafts. I've also seen where the upper pulleys where the gantry drive belts route could seize. You may want to remove those and grease as well.

When the machine is doing this, is it possible it is an endstop and still trying to drive in that direction? The front endstop prox (exit end) input is X51, and the rear (towards entrance) is X53. The forward relay is coming K3 connected to PLC output Y4. Reverse is K12 and Y5. Gantry drive is Y16. If it doesn't switch to go the other direction when at one of the endstops, that would do what you describe. Look to see if they are trying to turn. You may also want to disconnect the belts to verify that the drive pulley is trying to turn. Is the motor just humming? If so, that could indicate an issue with a contactor having burnt contacts. The first thing to try to isolate is if you have an electrical or mechanical issue.

smith property

Reaction score
When it’s supposed to be running the motor is humming just not moving at all. I replaced the relay with a new one to see if that would help the tips didn’t look the best but no change in the issue. The idlers and wheels on the track all look good took them off cleaned them all up and greased them just to be sure but that wasn’t it either

Ryko CS

Reaction score
It could be a contactor issue, or maybe a loose connection. When the output turns on, is there 24VAC getting to the contactor, or is it something less. Usually it needs to be 22.5V or higher for the contactor to fully pull in. If it's not, something else could be pulling down the voltage (water valve, or other output). If it doesn't pull in, it can be single phasing the motor that just isn't enough to get it moving. It could also be some type of mechanical bind.