What's new

Heck of a find for surveillance system

soonermajic

Reaction score
Lorex has a "weekend" special of $552, for a $2550 system.!!
Search 4KHDIP84W
6 camera & can add 2 others. 4k ip
6 Ultra HD cameras, night vision to 130' !

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Can someone explain in simple terms difference in functionality between systems that are DVR, NVR, and / or IP system?

Overachiever

Reaction score
Can someone explain in simple terms difference in functionality between systems that are DVR, NVR, and / or IP system?
I think you need a DVR for coax cable based cameras and an NVR for cat5/6 cable based cameras. I think an IP system is just another word for NVR?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
A NVR has the capability to connect and record a IP camera via network from a remote location. A DVR needs an actual physical cable connection from the camera.

OurTown

Reaction score
Lorex has a "weekend" special of $552, for a $2550 system.!!
Search 4KHDIP84W
6 camera & can add 2 others. 4k ip
6 Ultra HD cameras, night vision to 130' !
Sooner is this the one that Greg posted the link to? With the 15% off it might be a good price but why do you say it is a $2550 system?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Its not a bad deal at all, but this is an eight camera system. I need about 13 cameras to get the coverage I want at my washes.

OurTown

Reaction score
One thing to not overlook is the size of the hard drive. When recording with a bunch of 4K cameras they take up a lot of storage so it reduces the days of recording. Most hard drives can be upgraded but just keep it in mind when comparing systems.

MEP001

Reaction score
I think you need a DVR for coax cable based cameras and an NVR for cat5/6 cable based cameras. I think an IP system is just another word for NVR?
Sort of, the NVR is the recording unit which does the same things as a DVR. An IP system can be as simple as cameras that have fully integrated motion detection and data compression which can send video segments to a drive of a cloud storage.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A NVR has the capability to connect and record a IP camera via network from a remote location. A DVR needs an actual physical cable connection from the camera.
If I got this right. NVR can also use cable.
NVR has some sort of wireless capability?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Its not a bad deal at all, but this is an eight camera system. I need about 13 cameras to get the coverage I want at my washes.
Something I always wondered.. Have now gone to some 32 Camera systems. Could it be better to have 2 systems with each having half the cameras? I can see how you would need two monitors need to access the systems separately remotely which basically I do for my combined tunnel / SS.

MEP001

Reaction score
I haven't seen a NVR with wireless capability built in, but a wireless IP camera would communicate through a wireless network to the NVR, so no cable would be connected except for power.

It would almost certainly be cheaper to run two 16-camera DVR or NVR systems. A single 32 camera system would have to be really high-end to record on all channels at 30 or even 60 FPS at once. I can see it being more convenient having all recordings in one unit, but you could split off cameras for damage claim prevention and general or loss prevention purposes to two units.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
So, DVR vs NVR differences seem to be:
1. Different cabling Coax and Power Vs. CAT 5/6
2. DVR wired to all Cameras. NVR can be connected to your wireless router to access wireless / IP cameras?
3. DVR perhaps more difficult to use Cloud storage than NVR?
4. Seems like NVR systems can now provide Higher resolution cameras?

Is the above correct? anything else?

soonermajic

Reaction score
Sooner is this the one that Greg posted the link to? With the 15% off it might be a good price but why do you say it is a $2550 system?
Cause I almost bought this system 5 weeks ago & it was $2500

Roz

Reaction score
We just upgraded our camera system to a 16 camera IP system and kept the old coax system online as a backup.

DVR and NVR are terms used interchangeably by people. NVR = Network Video Recorder DVR = Digital Video Recorder. Not all DVRs can be viewed remotely via a network connection so some smart person coined the term NVR. Most security focused DVRs can be viewed remotely so the terms have been used without distinction or difference.

You need to have power to each camera unless you want to change batteries often in a wireless camera. Coax with a power line or CAT5/6 are the standards. CAT5/6 is easier to install, offers slightly better quality than coax, and is becoming the standard since it is just plug and play.

We used AVERTX which is almost identical to LOREX as it was on sale a Costco. I called AVERTX after the purchase and before the hard drive was shipped by them to upgrade the hard disk to 8 or 16 TB (upgrade was about $700). 4k IP cameras, 16 of them, use a lot of hard drive to record. Alternative option is to get a Cloud storage plan which will probably become the standard in the near future since prices for cloud storage are becoming very cheap, can be expanded with the bush of an upgrade button, and are safe if your equipment room is broken into.

We only use 4K IP dome cameras as they are more tamper proof and do not show camera direction. With 4K we can zoom in and have much better pictures in the event we need to use the footage for some reason. Each camera took about 10-15 minutes to install and focus so I hired a local handyman for $20/hr to work with me to speed up the process. Installation was easy and the app works nicely although all the products LOREX, AVERTX, etc should invest more into making the Apps more useful.

So, DVR vs NVR differences seem to be:
1. Different cabling Coax and Power Vs. CAT 5/6
2. DVR wired to all Cameras. NVR can be connected to your wireless router to access wireless / IP cameras?
3. DVR perhaps more difficult to use Cloud storage than NVR?
4. Seems like NVR systems can now provide Higher resolution cameras?

Is the above correct? anything else?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I believe a worthwhile goal when it comes to IP cameras & NVRs is to make sure they are both POE capable. That is the direction I have been taking the last few years. POE ... power over ethernet helps to simplify the system IMHO.

Roz

Reaction score
Home Depot has them for the same discounted price ($480). I have two Nest cameras from a long time ago, they are OK. Frankly for indoor cameras I have been purchasing $25 Wyze cameras (wyze.com). They rotate via an app and are much better than the Nest cameras - and you cannot beat the price. I use them to monitor chemical levels, equipment, activity, have them everywhere in the equipment room - can see everything in the room in detail.