What's new

Heat Water?

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I know we all look for ways to cut utility bills. Do you heat your wash water? Weep water? Why or why not?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I know we all look for ways to cut utility bills. Do you heat your wash water? Weep water? Why or why not?
Yes to both. For wash, hot and cold t'd together so I can adjust as neccessary. Not so much hot in Summer, more in winter. Warmer water cleans better (Think of your clothes and washing your hands) dissolving tree sap and bird poop easier and making grease more viscus. Soap foams better and wax seems to run off the car faster if not cold.

For weep the same Tsystem is in place. More hot for colder temps. Contrary to popular belief and the "Mpemba effect" warm water is better at keeping lines clear. If you think not, would you thaw a frozen line with warm or cold water? The reason Hot water pipes often freeze before cold is lower volume is usualy run thru the hot when both are present in the same area, and at the area in question it is usualy so far from the heat source that the water in the hot line at that location due to lack of use is often the same temp as the cold until it starts to flow.

MEP001

Reaction score
packerscw said:
It would just seem heating water would cost way more in utilities
Of course it does, but you have to weigh the benefits of running hot water against the costs. Even if it didn't work any better, I know for a fact that customers notice when one self-serve runs hot water and another doesn't. When I worked for a distributor I had a great deal of trouble convincing some customers to switch to a hyper-concentrate chemical. Sometimes, even after I proved to them that the operating costs were less with the more concentrated stuff, they simply couldn't get past the fact that one pail cost $25 and the other cost $100 and they'd go back to the regular stuff.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I weep cold water and didn't have any freeze ups last year despite several days below zero and many days below freezing.

I am torn on the warm wash water. I know customers can feel/appreciate the warm handle. I wonder if not noticing the warm handle would steer them to a competitor next time they wash.

That's a good point about warm water on tree sap or grease.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I use hot water for 3 things:

simple precept of chemistry: solubility increases with temperature. Therefore I use hot water to fill my mixing tanks, I want a more consistent solution after I draw concentrates through the hydrominder, result is better mixed HP Soap, HP Wax, PS, FB, Tire Cleaner, etc. Cost to do so is minimal.

I also use hot water for the entire HP Soap cycle, I believe it cleans better, and my customers notice. Note that I turn the temp down in spring/summer/fall, I'd call it more of a warm water wash. In winter I turn the temp up a bit, customers sometimes comment on the water temp & the resulting "steam" in the bays, & how it must cost me a fortune.

When temps get down below 10F I switch from recycled cold water to hot water weep. I've had freeze-ups before, and although it is expensive to weep hot water I choose to not deal with the time & cost of possible freeze-ups.

FYI, it wouldnt be that hard to calculate how much it costs to heat your water; that would help you make a more informed decision. I admit that as prices continue to go up it has occurred to me to calculate it just for a sanity check as to whether I think its really worth it. Havent done it yet though. :)

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Oh, a minor FYI: most water heaters are more efficient at higher water temps (mine is anyway, I think the generalization is true), therefore I run my heater at max temp, and installed a mixing valve to bring the temp back down to where I want it for usage. As a side benefit this gives me more hot water capacity with a smaller heater.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Geez, all these years and only 400 posts, I must be a man of few words, LOL. The guys who work for me would find that hilarious.

washtecnic

Reaction score
Heat water?

questions:

what temperature you usually serve the hot water? during winter? during summer? what temp in summer? and what temp in winter?

heated water only in the pre soak phase? or any other phases of the washing process? soak? brush foam soap? rinse?

thanks

Mario