What's new

Have land, building conv store / gas station want car wash ( newbie )

JohnC

Reaction score
Hello

My partner and I are going thru the permitting process to build a convenience store with gas/diesel and want to include a car wash.

We have an 11 acre site secured with frontage with a 45,000 vehichle per day traffic count in MA on RT 1. Site sits at a light, no other car washes in the area. There is one of the finest RV campgrounds in the country right down the road, so we’d like to incorporate the ability for RV’s to get a clean up as well.

Don’t know anything about the business. Would like low employee requirements and max profits, where do I start?

Thanks

john_coukos@yahoo.com

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
If it was me personally I would just keep it so simple since you guys are C-store operators and not carwash operators I would just go with a touchfree auto IBA is better ROI than a RV/Truck wash unless your going to go full swing into cleaning trucks detailing, lots employees, big equipment more overhead. Have you considered other options with the rest of the land like mini storage,Laundry mat, a grill or retail space. Your local PDQ or washworld distributor is who I would call and get a touchfree IBA and get on a PM program every month for chemicals and the machine unless you are real hands on and mechanical type person and check on chemicals and the machines functions everyday. That way you can focus on the store. (I defiently would not build a Self serve either to clean the RVs will never be enough ROI and you would be disapointed and not to mention the mess and ATV's that are included) if you insist on having a wash I would Just stick to a IBA and sell washes with the gas pumps. I would open up a camping store or retail of some kind focused towards the RV people & sell charcoal, camping supplys , water, ice, maybe a mini grocery store where they can buy there fresh meat & veg to cook if there is no big box stores nearby.

Last edited:

JohnC

Reaction score
Tdlconceptsllc

Yes, keeping it simple has great merit. From what I’ve seen other c-stores have a simple one or two bay operation. I agree, trying to suit the needs of the RV folks would be too costly and labor intensive.

Thank you for the pointers to the car wash vendors

We are looking at 6000 sq ft on c-store space so we can / will stock items for the RV people

We’ll have about 7-8 acres available to lease out or open other business in the future. Our plan it to get this off the ground and contemplate the future once it’s up and running.

Appreciate the info

Thanks

JohnC

mac

Reaction score
Well just for the heck of it I would like to add my thoughts. Why people are still recommending touchless automatics is beyond me. They use four times the water and four times the chemical of a friction, and they still don't clean as well. Other than that though.....

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Mac your 100% correct I agree with you friction uses half chemicals and water I was just thinking from a maintenance standpoint from a C-store operators perspective. Heck I wish I had a friction myself.

mac

Reaction score
This is where things get interesting. You are thinking that maintenance is cheaper and less intensive with a touchless than a friction machine. That thinking is why there are sooo many touchless machines that turn out a poor quality wash. With a touchless you have to constantly monitor water quality, softener performance, chemical dilution and delivery, and spot free performance. That my friend is why the public sees so many gas station washes as poor quality. Just my .02 opinion.

soonermajic

Reaction score
That's why he suggested to get on a monthly PM. With correct chems, the touchfree will do a good job. The friction wash , unattended, will have more issues, no doubt. It does give a superior clean though.

mac

Reaction score
Hello sooner, your phrase "will do a good job" caught my eye. Yes when everything is just right, it will do a good job. To me though, good is not great. I would guess that 50 to 70% of techs do not know how to set up a touchless to do a great job. With express exteriors sprouting like weeds, I think the bar has been raised a little.