What's new

Hard Winter. Repairing Asphalt and/or concrete

Etowah

Robert2181

Reaction score
I do the best to keep up on my lot. But would like to know what you other guys do or some of the tricks help keeping the lot looking the best it can!!

Stuart

Reaction score
Spent the last 2 summers sealing expansion joints and fractures with a sealant. Used a hand grinder with a concrete blade and etched each crack to fresh surface. Blew the dust out with a blow gun. Sealed the cracks.
I would close an area about 800 sqft. grind and seal and let set overnight and then reopen. I had to watch closely certain areas for water draining to the sealer. The water was not good for the sealer during the first few hours.
I used Sonolastic/sonoborn SL1 self leveling sealer. Quart tubes.
Oh my aching knees and back-ugh!! Hope this helps

soapy

Reaction score
I used to buy a product called road patch that was a epoxy concrete. You mixed it with water and it set up very fast, you had about 15 minutes of working time with full setup in 4 hours. The company that I bought it from does not carry it anymore and I cannot find it.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Around here the city fixes pot holes by cutting a square out of the bad pavement area, then fills it with granular and then paving stones. So if the problem reoccurs, they just remove the stones, more granular and replace the stones. This helps in the winter here when the paving plants are closed.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
To fix cracks in the bays I use "Plistix". I also used it on my truck bay floor that is outside. It holds up extrememly well and you can drive on it soon after you apply it. It Gets hard in about 20 minutes...It comes in Black and Grey...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Latex-it...ncrete-Joint-and-Crack-Filler-35100/203596490

I used a diamond wheel on a 4" grinder to open the cracks up, just a little. Then you heat this stuff with a torch and melt it into the crack. Heres a Youtube video of it being applied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llchzjgm-h0

Actually I found it easier to melt it into the crack like you would braze metal. The cracks I had was just hairline cracks, but I was concerned about water getting down into the concrete, possibly freezing, and damaging my floor heat loops. This stuff holds up real well.

JIMT

Reaction score
2Biz,
That is a very attractive carwash. Is that you cleaning the bay?
JIMT

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
After 8 years of having paving companies patch and repair my asphalt...
“This stuff is going to last forever.”
“Those last guys didn’t know what they were doing.”
“Cold patches only last a few months.”
“We’re the one’s you shoulda called first.”

I called the contractor that did some work on a few of my customer projects. $17,000 later, my entire exit side pavement was ripped out, filled, compacted, re-graded, and paved with concrete. I also laid 12 loops of PEX to the building’s winter solstice shadow line and connected it to the floor heat system.

I haven’t fixed a pot hole in over 12 years and the snow plow guys never get close to my building! :cool:

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
2Biz,
That is a very attractive carwash. Is that you cleaning the bay?
JIMT

Are you talking about the photo's in my Facebook account? I don't think I'm in any of the photos. Although I am the one who does all the cleaning! Thanks for the comment. Its a very old wash that is maintained well and still does a great job....

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have several areas which I need to patch this year. I spent $15,000 two years ago only to be let down after the promices of "you won't get heaving again here". This time I figure I should try something a little more cost-effective: http://www.roadwayresearch.com/pothole_repair.html

Anyone ever use this?
Jeff,
I use this product which looks like its identical to what's in your link. I call it "Cold Patch"...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_134917-3649...ntURL=?Ntt=asphalt+repair+products&facetInfo=

I have a 12' wide section of my lot or entrance off the main street that is asphalt and is about 100' long. The asphalt then butts up against the concrete lot. Winters are hard on the asphalt and I usually have to repair it in the Spring. That's what I use and it holds up as well as to be expected. The only alternative is to dig it up, redo it, and make it the same level as the existing roadway. The road has been repaved and there is a slight drop off/grade to my lot that causes the problems.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've used the cold patch stuff too - it works okay, but it's not a permanent fix. Since it's mixed to stay workable in the bag/bucket, it stays that way in the repair.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
The stuff I used was soft for a few days, then got as hard as asphalt. Once it got hard I sealed it with driveway sealer. I agree its not the best fix, but its either $50-$100 to do a repair Or dig it all up and the cost is several thousand $$$....

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
The stuff I used was soft for a few days, then got as hard as asphalt. Once it got hard I sealed it with driveway sealer. I agree its not the best fix, but its either $50-$100 to do a repair Or dig it all up and the cost is several thousand $$$....
That is kinda where I am at... part of my issue I think is that the joints between the asphalt and our heated pad were never properly sealed and has allowed water to get under and cause heaving.

Now I just need to wait a few months for the frost to come out of the ground (If it ever does this year, lol) and I can get to patching.