What's new

Hard Tar Removal

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

I recently purchased a car that sat for a while with what appears to be hardened tar. This is an expensive sports car and I am very concerned about not damaging the paint. None of the bug and tar type products have be successful at softening this tar. I know I could use solvents...but at what expense to the paint. Would claybar work?

Any help is appreciated...Big Leo

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use a product called 'Prep All,' wax and grease remover. Squirt some on, let it dwell 30 seconds and wipe it off with a rag. No worries, mate.

Clay afterwards, being sure to rewash the vehicle, because the residual solvent will smear the clay.

Trust me; I am a tar removal expert.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Your the man...I'll pick some up later and ley you know how it goes.

Big Leo

bmills

Reaction score
WD40 is also very effective for tar removal and is safe on the paint.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As is a product called 'oilflo' from Titan Chemical. I still like Prep All the best, but you do have choices. Most detail supply sources have a solvent specifically designed for grease, tar and wax removal. I've found several uses for it around the carwash, too.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aaah, the sweet smell of gasoline! Takes me back to my youth, detailing my Honda CT 70. Yep, gas cuts tar and grease just fine and as expensive as gas is, it's far cheaper than prep all and WD-40.

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
A Citrus Solvent will work wonders on tar.....

DavidM

Reaction score
I'll throw in my favorite tar remover - Tarminator by Stoner Products. We purchase it 55 gallons at a time for our detail shop.

David

bigleo48

Reaction score
Aaah, the sweet smell of gasoline! Takes me back to my youth, detailing my Honda CT 70. Yep, gas cuts tar and grease just fine and as expensive as gas is, it's far cheaper than prep all and WD-40.
Reminds me of an afternoon at the carwash when I came out of the equipment room and could smell gas as strong you could. Walked over to the next bay and a guy had a gerry can, small bucket and rag. He was bucket washing his car with gas!? Needless to say I threw him out!

Can't seem to find Prepall around here, I did order the tarminator...will try WD-40. I like experimenting regardless.

Cheers...BigLeo

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Auto parts supply places should have several options for a tar/wax/grease remover solvent. Body shops regularly buy this type solvent.

Stoner makes good products. WD-40 is sold in gallons, which would be better than aerosol for your needs with tar. Plus, if it doesn't work there are always plenty of uses for WD-40!

bigleo48

Reaction score
WD-40 worked somewhat...still had to use my fingernail to get it all off...man that stuff is hard!

Thanks all!

buda

Reaction score
Tar Removal

What you need to use is a "tar and grease remover." Any good detail chemical company in the industry has such a product. It will, or should quickly, dissolve the tar for easy wipe-off with a towel.

Do not go for these home-ready solutions. Why would you want to use WD-40 that is far too expensive a product to use. What it is in the WD 40 that is working is the solvent in the product.

Citrus Cleaners are not designed for that type of tar removal. The solvents in these types of cleaners are not designed for removing heavy tar, would take much too long.

For example, the solvents used to clean parts in an auto repair shop are also not designed to remove heavy tar. They will break it down, but will take far longer than a product designed to remove tar.

When you have a problem it is always best to use that product which was designed for that problem: engine degreaser, wheel cleaner, carpet shampoo, glass cleaner.

You can wash your hair with Joy it would work, you could take a bath with Tide liquid laundry detergent and it would work, but at what expense to your hair and skin?

Regards
Bud Abraham

TheDoc

Reaction score
Big Leo, Don't hold out on us! Let us know what the new ride is! Anyway, make sure the car hasn't been repainted in ANY of the areas you will be cleaning with any solvents. I agree with all of the advice, but making sure is better than being upset about creating damage.
I like prep-sol and others like it.

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
Citrus Sovents are excelent tar removers.....