What's new

Handheld cashier devices -- pros/cons

Etowah

kclogan

Reaction score
Hey all

About to make the switch to a handheld cashier device -- our property is too small to implement a gate, but too large (and busy!) to keep sending employees down the line, then back to the cashier office, then BACK to the customer. About 3/4 of our business comes from plastic -- whether it's credit cards or our Unlimited program (which uses a card scanning system).

My main concern is which kind of device to implement: a full tablet, or a smaller less capable portable device.

Does anyone have any advice regarding a full tablet vs. a streamlined device? The tablet seems great because it's extremely similar to our existing terminal -- but the size has me worried. Additionally -- we'll have to install some Wireless Access Points so I want to make sure they're placed in ideal positions. Any anecdotes or advice would be appreciated!

K

TEEBOX

Reaction score
Hello, I'm just considering do this also. Have you had any ideas to pass along since nobody responded to your post?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I've been using the PTT's from DRB for about 10 years. I prefer the smaller size of the PTT vs the tablet. They are very durable. Now that the portable printers they use are Bluetooth that eliminated the only issues we ever had when they were WiFi.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
I've been using the PTT's from DRB for about 10 years. I prefer the smaller size of the PTT vs the tablet. They are very durable. Now that the portable printers they use are Bluetooth that eliminated the only issues we ever had when they were WiFi.
I really haven't done my due diligence on DRB yet. So I'm assuming your using handhelds and not using a gate?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
That is correct. After a sale is completed a three digit code is created and added to the queue. My salesman writes that number on the windshield of the vehicle. The loader enters that number into the entry terminal and sends the car. Without a valid code there is no way to send a vehicle through the wash. With this system there is no way to send a vehicle without being accounted for in the point of sale system.

John Logan

Reaction score
Durability would be very important -- we often have wifi issues as well so knowing they'd be hooked up to bluetooth is reassuring.

Would you happen to know any differences in performance while using them? Are they both fast? It seems like you would be able to do more with a tablet but perhaps having a smaller, more durable device is better?

Etowah