What's new

Hand Car Wash Business

johnnys99

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have recently been considering the idea of starting my own car wash business, and I am particularly interested in adopting a manual hand-washing approach, without the use of any machinery. I was wondering if any of you could provide me with information about the necessary systems and key factors I should consider before diving deeper into this endeavor. Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

washnshine

Reaction score
Key factor: You will need a tremendous amount of labor if you intend to do any sort of volume at all and not have customers waiting inordinate amounts of time while their car is cleaned. Have you visited any site currently employing a completely manual approach? You may want to.

johnnys99

Reaction score
Well, my plan is to lease a large lot and build some car wash bays. I have visited a couple of places to see their setup and equipment, but I am more concerned about the sewage system. What would need to be done in terms of water recycling?

washnshine

Reaction score
You would need to see what is required by your local municipality.

kentadel

Reaction score
Several years ago I knew of a young person that did something like what you may be considering. Seem to remember his business may have been called 'My driveway not yours' or similar. He washed and vacuumed and also picked up and returned vehicles. I am quite sure it morphed into detailing. I know he did very well with it. Start small, see if it is what you like, and let your results lead you.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have recently been considering the idea of starting my own car wash business, and I am particularly interested in adopting a manual hand-washing approach, without the use of any machinery. I was wondering if any of you could provide me with information about the necessary systems and key factors I should consider before diving deeper into this endeavor. Your insights would be greatly appreciated!
Necessary systems for a hand wash? Bucket. Soap. Wash mitt. Human. Go!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Necessary systems for a hand wash? Bucket. Soap. Wash mitt. Human. Go!
you forgot the hose!

Although I did see a guy on Thanksgiving washing his entire car with the windshield squeegee at a gas station. True story!

kentadel

Reaction score
Don't forget the weep and foam brush washer. Happens every winter.:)