What's new

Hand Applied Wax

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a customer bringing up 3 cars that he wants "hand waxed". I'm looking for a recommendation for a hand applied wax that goes on and comes off pretty easy. I have used Meguiars before and liked the results, but what are some of your faves?

TIA...

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like Mothers Paste (non-cleaner type). My detail shop hand waxes most full-serve cars unless we need cleaner (liquid) wax.

I have a connection now if you'd like it.

It's by far the easiest on/off true hand wax that I have seen, used and tried. And I have tried many many products since 1985 when I really began waxing cars. Mothers produces fantastic results when used properly and that coupled with its ease of use makes it my choice for over 90% of my full-service details.

My premium wax is Colliinte. Harder to use. More longevity and more deepening colors on darks.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! PM me about the wax, would love to get a better margin on it.

What is your hand wax pricing (Chevy Impala)?

Sidenote: you haven't been flooded out have you? I know you have the river right there correct?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get $69.99 to wax a sedan.

my wash is on a pretty good hill, so i am not flooded.

soapy

Reaction score
I use Zaino AIO wax for a premium hand applied wax. You can only get it over the internet. I like the fact that my customers can't walk into any parts store and buy the same thing. It gives it a premium status when compared to waxes availible at WalMart etc.

Etowah

buda

Reaction score
Carnuaba paste wax

Chemically-speaking there is not much difference between a paste wax and a liquid wax other than the amount of water in the formulation to make it a liquid or paste.

For the most part any carnuaba paste wax from any of the major detail chemical manufacturers are all good products. There is only so much technology you can put in a can of wax.

The boutique sites sell a can of wax for up to $69.95, the same can of wax you can purchase from a legitimate chemical manufacturer or their distributor for no more than $15.95.

If you pay more than that, it is like PT Barnum said, "........, there's one born every minute...."

Watch out for the marketing tricks too. Statements like, "it contains 100% carnuaba wax."

That does not mean the wax is 100% carnuaba it means that the carnuaba used in the can of wax is 100%.

The key is, "what percentage of carnuaba wax is in the formulation?"

That is what might separate one product from another. If you get more than 12% to 15% you would have a product that is sticky and oily and very hard to work with.

Most products have under 10% wax in them.

And, again, if you are paying anything over $20 for a can of wax it is too much for the technology you are buying.

Regards
Bud Abraham

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buda offers great info and I agree with all of it and learned a thing or 2.

The reason I prefer paste is it goes where I put it. Liquid can drip and be messier and get into places where I do not want it (cracks, emblems, etc.)

A person's choice is largely based on what they like to use and find easy with good end results.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've seen a UK show that featured a very high-scale detailer. He used a pure carnauba wax that costs around $1,500 a pound. I'd like to get some of that (and the Pagani Zonda he was applying it to with his bare hands in the feature).

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
MEP, that had to be some scam. There is no way a wax can be 100% carnauba. Pure carnauba wax is harvested from the carnauba tree indigenous to South America. It is processed into blocks like any other wax. When in this form the brighter yellow the better the quality of the carnauba. In order to use carnauba as an ingredient it must be put into an emulsion, normally with some type of solvent and a coupling agent to keep it in solution. A polish or wax may contain only carnauba wax. This is often labeled as containing pure carnauba wax but I have never seen one claim to be 100% carnauba. If that guy paid $1,500 for it he was screwed.

By the way one of the more popular uses of carnauba wax is to put a shine on many food products like M & M's and is also used in apple wax that is sprayed on apples before they are brought to the market.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Cereals use some kind of wax to keep them from getting soggy to quickly from the milk.

buda

Reaction score
Carnuaba paste wax

The story from the UK is a scam.

As Ron states carnuaba wax comes from the underside of a Brazilian palm tree and in it's natural form looks a bit like corn flakes.

Any wax product is a combination of wax:

a. Natural carnuaba
b. Synthetic carnuaba (microcrystilline)
c. Beeswax
d. Montan (derived from coal)
e. Others

As well as the wax there is solvents, mineral oils, surfactants, light abrasives, color and in some, fragrance.

While the carnuaba might be 100% there is no wax that is 100% wax. That is marketing hype.

At best you can put no more than 15% wax in a product, by volume. More than that will make the product unuseable, too oily and sticky.

There is no way you could ever put $1500 worth of technology in a pound of wax.

As PT Barnum once said, "there is a sucker born every minute......"

Nowhere is that more evidenced than in the car chemical business, where people, even professional detailers are led to believe the wild stories about miracle wax and sealant products.

Regards
Bud Abraham

PS: To to www.carwash.com and click on archives and find a story on Waxes and Paint Sealants it will describe the truth about the products as backed by two leading chemists in the car products industry

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
We ended up using Meguiar's Gold Class wax on the three cars. Went on great and came off pretty easy. For the quick turnaround time that the customer had requested, that is what we had on hand and everyone was happy with the results. Thanks guys!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just tried Pro #1 Polish and it is a fabulous express polish when applied with an orbital polisher and wiped off by hand.

For hand wax I still love Mothers and Collinite. Hard to beat IMO.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. I had to check the gallon jug, but that is the one from BAF.

Love this product so far.

AutoUnlimited

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a customer bringing up 3 cars that he wants "hand waxed". I'm looking for a recommendation for a hand applied wax that goes on and comes off pretty easy. I have used Meguiars before and liked the results, but what are some of your faves?

TIA...
I have been using Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic liquid wax since they have come out with it. It gives excellent sheeting to water, and it lasts for a few months. I honestly think it is one of the best consumer-based waxes you can buy, and it applies very easy. The setup time for the wax doesn't take very long check out my review on it at my website. Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax – Automotive-Unlimited