What's new

Hamilton serial to Ethernet adapter???

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Hamilton sells its serial to ethernet adapter which is used when the acw4 accepts credit cards. I have two. Every few years, one goes bad. Hamilton wants over $400 for one. Is there any reason I can't go buy one for $69.95 and use it?

MEP001

Reaction score
Look for info on the adapter and try to match it up.

For the price to be that different, there's likely something proprietary about it.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Well the Hamilton one is a circuit board mounted in a very nice Stainless steel box. I suspect that is the price difference but don't know enough to know whether serial to ethernet is serial to ethernet.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I think the ACW4 feeds a serial to cat5 cable that then goes to a serial to ethernet adapter that has cat5 input and output. That is fairly proprietary, I am thinking. I wonder if I could use a serial cable then a serial to ethernet adapter? Anyone know? $400+ is a lot to pay for a <$100 part every couple years.

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
Are you talking about the Serial Ethernet converter #05-0023 with a list price of $403.00. They are repairable. If you find a replacement that has the correct plugs on each end it might work.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Yes, that's it. $403.00 plus sale tax, plus shipping, oh and don't forget about handling. I never have understood handling.

MEP001

Reaction score
Handling is to cover the cost of pulling, packaging and processing the item(s) for shipment.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
That should be in the price of the item. Please ship mine to me and quit handling it so much. Handling sometimes involves throwing an item in an envelope but still costs as much as boxing an item.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm sure no one includes handling in the price of a retail item. I won't argue that for what they charge for parts they don't need to be adding handling fees.

I bought some memory sticks on eBay without reading the fine print carefully and assumed that they'd ship three together for the same price. Nope, I paid $10 each for shipping and they arrived in a padded envelope with 64¢ postage on it.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Guess my gripe about handling is that it is a factor of price unless it requires crating. That means a part that need boxing costs the handling as a part that gets dropped in an envelope. Oh well, let me get off my soapbox.