What's new

Hamilton Mini Bill to Bill Changer

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a really big issue of customers worrying me to death at my carwash wanting change for a $20 bill like 10 people a day sometimes more and its a real nuisance when your working climb down a ladder just stop whatever your working on. I was wondering if anybody has the Mini Bill to Bill Changer from Hamiltion or whats my other options are that I could offer when the site is unattended and do you think that this Bill to Bill change/machine would attract more people to break in. Thanks alot for suggestions.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Dollar coins cured that issue for me...been dispensing them for 15 years.
TDLCONCEPTS,

I.B. reflects our positive experience to a great extent with dispensing the higher denomination coins from two Standard Changemakers also since the year 2000. We still dispense a portion in quarters of which we are hoping to dispense a smaller or no portion of the more bulky quarters in the near future. By dispensing $5s from a very reliable "free to use" ATM for many (depending on their bank or credit union) we also cut down on that specific experience that you describe.

You may need better quality bills than some of those put in your bill acceptors ... so you may want to check out the quality of bills that your local banks are willing to make available to you. I could be wrong but ... it seems to be a pattern around the country that the banks & credit unions order new bills towards the end of each year. Then every third bill you replenish your cassettes with could be a brand new one ... which is very helpful for the smoothest & best operation. Every third makes sense ... otherwise too many brand new bills sticking together could be a processing issue for some equipment including manual counting.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
Check with Hamilton to see if they have a retrofit for the Mars recycling validator.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I already have credit card readers on all bays for 5 years but have more people want change for a $20 bill than people that use credit in the SS Bays which is a good thing more profit VS credit fee"s. I could never see how I would benefit from a ATM machine. A Suntrust/bank ATM/cashpoints 3 years ago got stolen within site of my Carwash in a nice part of town, loaded up onto the back of a pickup truck a big one not a small ATM like in a convience store. I don't think I would want that hassle I could see how I would benefit if I had it inside a laundry mat locked up at night, but not in the open at a self service Carwash that's asking for trouble. Thanks for advice. Still trying to figure out the ROI on a bill to bill breaker called Kleen rite and the Hamilton version is over $6K would take a long time to pay for itself just thinking.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I already have credit card readers on all bays for 5 years but have more people want change for a $20 bill than people that use credit in the SS Bays which is a good thing more profit VS credit fee"s. I could never see how I would benefit from a ATM machine. A Suntrust/bank ATM/cashpoints 3 years ago got stolen within site of my Carwash in a nice part of town, loaded up onto the back of a pickup truck a big one not a small ATM like in a convience store. I don't think I would want that hassle I could see how I would benefit if I had it inside a laundry mat locked up at night, but not in the open at a self service Carwash that's asking for trouble. Thanks for advice. Still trying to figure out the ROI on a bill to bill breaker called Kleen rite and the Hamilton version is over $6K would take a long time to pay for itself just thinking.
tdlconceptsllc,

If you have a somewhat dry & sheltered area with "in the wall" install capability ... I would check into the price of an in the wall ATM & see how it compares to an in the wall bill to bill breaker. Also I would check to see how prevalent it is that some of your local banks & credit unions are reimbursing their customers automatically (zero red tape) when they use any & all ATMs.

The bill to bill breaker ... it seems will have about the same amount of actual money inside or amount perceived by the criminals. So if both are set up as durable & resistant to break-in via the "in the wall" approach ... I would be leaning towards an ATM. Based on experience ... non car wash users of the ATM would actually most likely create another revenue stream for you from the surcharge. Some users of ATMs prefer to get a lot bigger bills than $5s but it has not been a problem for us like it would be at some truck stops where they prefer to give out $100 bills.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
mike

Thanks for helpful info on ATM"s. I would be one of the first in my area to have that option also how do you go about getting a price on a ATM and are they hard to work on reliable as a Hamilton changer do you have to go under a contract with a provider? Thanks man. Thomas.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Cantbreak80

Kleen rite said 6K plus freight for shipping and yes my prices are 21 Century you at least have to spend $10 at my SS to have it done right, and I ask people why would you come to a Carwash anyways with only $20 and $100 dollar bills the public trips me out there logic of thinking and then get mad if you don't break it for them.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I ask people why would you come to a Carwash anyways with only $20 and $100 dollar bills the public trips me out there logic of thinking and then get mad if you don't break it for them.
They should get mad if you question them over breaking a twenty. A $20 bill is common everyday currency and any wash from the times of Ben Hurr to the present should be able to process one without any human interaction.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
IB washincars

I live In NC and there not one Carwash in my state that has a bill to bill breaker for the self service. We have some nice washes over the state. The Mars validator will break a $20 bill but 99% of customers do not want that much in quarters. We have credit cards on everything also fleet accounts ect.. I was wondering if you have one at your site and if so how many years did it take to pay for itself ROI since there over 6K now in 2015. Maybe we do things a little different from my state in the south. Thanks for your opinion though.

I do not see the benefit also in despensing $1 coins my customers. They prefer the paper bills like two $10 or $5 dollar bills different cliental for everybody I guess.

Last edited:

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
MEP001
I see the benefit right there.[/QUOTE]

My customers would be like I don't want 20 gold coins I want my money paper money. Different people I guess they would raise hell and be ready to fight if you gave them $1 coins or tokens.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
MEP said it, or actually you said it. I've been dispensing dollar coins for 15 years at 4 washes. Before that, the complaint I heard virtually every day was "I don't want all these %@$#ing quarters!" Nowadays, I keep $80 worth of fives in the drawer to break the occasional twenty, or in very rare cases, a ten. Many weeks there will still be those 16 fives in the drawer, not changing a single large bill. Yeah, I know people would rather have some folding money, but as you have discovered, it's just not practical yet.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]My customers would be like I don't want 20 gold coins I want my money paper money.[/QUOTE]

How do you know that? I can't imagine NC customers are much different than KY customers. What you do know, is that they don't want a bunch of quarters.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
they won't I promise you my freind. They want change for a $20 or a $10 bill so they can wash the car go to eat at Wendy's and buy a 40oz beer and whatever you can imagine. These people can't keep up with 20=$1 coins. If you get what I am dealing with. My richer clients will use my credit cards anyways.

On the flip side i would have to change out 10 perfectly good coin acceptors and go to the bank every week and get $200-$300 dollars worth of special $1 quarters when dealing with the cash and quarters in this bussiness is a pain in the *** as it is. Thanks guys I am still working on a solution beside me and my helper having $200 in $5 $10"s in our pockets at all times and stop whatever we are doing to cater to this. This situation has gotten worse over the past two years. I should have been like all the other operators in my area and not even do it,but I started it 7 years ago and I never should because they expect it now when they see me. Thanks again.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
mike

Thanks for helpful info on ATM"s. I would be one of the first in my area to have that option also how do you go about getting a price on a ATM and are they hard to work on reliable as a Hamilton changer do you have to go under a contract with a provider? Thanks man. Thomas.
Thomas,

Check with an ATM seller in your area first ... compare their price & their contract & terms of free initial setup (it requires expertise). Compare all this with some ATM sellers that you google. It has been over 4 years now & the only real maintenance was replacing a keypad which the distributor from Houston & the ATM Hyosung USA office tech support walked us through. A good well studied through 5 year contract protects both the buyer & the seller from changes in how much is received beyond the basic surcharge etc. & in other ways. As I have stated before ... I believe the ATM equipment & processing has better reporting & tracking than anything that I have read about or experienced from the bill to bill breaker manufacturers & car wash manufacturers (including credit debit).

Like others have somewhat stated better than me ... from actual experience ... the dollar coins are a 3x to 4x improvement over quarters & we see many advantages to cutting down on the number of one dollar paper bills going through our in bay bill acceptors. It has been an extremely rare customer (even the wealthy) who prefer quarters over dollar coins. If you have Parker coin acceptors that only accept one coin ... I concede you do gain a slight amount of reliability. Both of our 4 hopper Standard ChangeMakers have the ability to change quarters into dollar coins & you would be astonished at the number of customers who change their quarters into dollar coins. Somewhere in the future hopefully the dollar coin will be the dominant coin vs the quarter being the dominant coin as it is now ... I see that key change as being helpful for ... especially self service operators ... as well as for the USA in general.

mike walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html