What's new

Hamilton Hopper Emptied

MichaelGlenn

Reaction score
Hamilton ACW4 hopper emptied tonight. Thief entered machine through wash selection button (old style plastic button) and triggered machine to payout. No noticeable damage to machine aside from broken button, frustrating more than anything. I'm planning to upgrade my old style ACW button to the newer Goldline buttons, hoping these are more secure.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Without revealing too much in an open forum. Can you re-route the wires in a manner that it's impossible to get to them through the button? Or perhaps disable the physical hopper dump switch (if there is one)?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Changing the buttons will only make them break a more expensive button. They accessed the wiring harness and dumped the hopper. The wires must be rerouted and protected. A GFCI is supposed to prevent this as well. A changer monitor on the hopper would have shut it down before the hopper was completely emptied as well. This method has been common knowledge in the industry for many years.

soapy

Reaction score
Disable the refund button in the controller settings. Encase your wires in pipe so they can't be fished out.

Randy

Reaction score
I haven’t seen this trick in a long time. There are a couple of things you can do to help prevent this from happening. Go into the programming on the controller and disable the Refund button and turn On the “Built Mode” this will only allow the controller to recognize only one wash higher than the one that’s in Que. That way they can’t build up a lot of credit and hit refund.

Remove the Hopper and pull back the black protective covering and cut the “Solid white” wire that goes to the Hopper, be sure it’s the Solid white wire, there are a number of wires that are white with different color tracings. After you cut the wire put a quick disconnect on the ends in case you ever want to use the Hopper run switch.

In case the wiring harness on the door in 5/8” or ¾” rubber hose, this way they can’t pull it out the wash selection hole. I split the hose down the middle and then secure it to the door with metal lined clamp http://www.delcity.net/store/Loom-Clamps-!-Plated-Steel/p_800836

If you have a older Hamilton bill changer look for the bright Green or Orange tag on the disconnect on the wire that goes down to the Hopper, it should be disconnected. If you don’t have the disconnect you can cover the wire to the Hopper with a 5/8” hose and secure it with metal clamps or cut the Solid white wire.

MichaelGlenn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. As far as the thief 'building up credits', I don't know that this was the case, he knocked the button off and had the hopper running in less than 20 seconds. It was real fast. I only keep enough coins in the hopper to cover the metal contacts so fortunately it wasn't much money. I'm going to better secure the harness inside of hose. I did call Hamilton to see what their suggestion would be.... they said to cut the white wire as well. Over the weekend i'm leaving hopper unplugged until I make these mods, at least I won't have to worry about it for a few days.

MichaelGlenn

Reaction score
Update: Just heard from some fellow operators, another wash was hit same night about 30 mins from me and last night they got a guy in another town. I'm guessing same guy is making his rounds through Eastern NC, possible central NC as well.