What's new

Hamilton changer question

Starrwash

Reaction score
Customer said she put a $5 in changer for tokens, it took her $5 and did not give her tokens. She said she put in a 2nd $5 and it did give her tokens. My understanding is the Hamilton would have locked out if tokens were not indicated by the counter switch? Could this failure happen? I did try the changer with the $5 dollar bills in the machine and they worked fine. It’s only $5 but I’m curious, I didn’t think this could happen without lock out/ red light.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's very possible that it took the bill and couldn't reject it. The only way you would have known what happened is if you'd been there and seen if the bill had cycled into the stacker.

Randy

Reaction score
Customer said she put a $5 in changer for tokens, it took her $5 and did not give her tokens. She said she put in a 2nd $5 and it did give her tokens. My understanding is the Hamilton would have locked out if tokens were not indicated by the counter switch? Could this failure happen? I did try the changer with the $5 dollar bills in the machine and they worked fine. It’s only $5 but I’m curious, I didn’t think this could happen without lock out/ red light.
What model bill validator are you using? If it's an XE it could be like MEP said the validator stole the bill because it couldn't reject the bill. The XE validator will lock out for a predetermined amount of time if the validator sees a manipulation, stringing attempt. If your dispensing only tokens I'd disable that feature on your validator. The only time the Red "Out of service" light on changer will will come on is when the controller sees a hard error, hopper miss count, validator shutdown error or a stacker error, things of that nature. When this happens the validator is inhibited, half a 1 on the side of the validator and will not take anymore money until the error is cleared by resetting the controller

MEP001

Reaction score
A Mars acceptor can do the same thing. I've had it happen a number of times where it couldn't kick the bill out for some reason so it cycled back and forth until it ended up in the stacker.