What's new

Hamilton changer problems

MEP001

Reaction score
What validator is in it?

Does it shut down with an error code?

Randy

Reaction score
There are a couple things that it could be. What model Bill changer is it? What model and version is the validator? Is it a Hamilton validator or a Mars/MEI validator. If it's a Hamilton validator it should be an XE validator v3.60. Look at the wiring harness where it plugs into the validator are all the wires in the plug? If your using a Hamilton validator is the stacker installed? Is the Green LED light steady On on the controller or is it Flashing? If it's Flashing what sequence is it Flashing? What is the overall condition of the harness? Does the Hopper try to payout after the validator accepts the bill?

lilb93

Reaction score
The green lite is on in the controller. If you manually dump the hopper only then does it go out of service with the front lite on.
This was with a package I just purchased for our Williams Valley car wash. Was just playing with it last night and like I said it would love to take your cash and give you nothing.. Thanks

Randy

Reaction score
Without being there my guess would be the Validator is not sending the pulse to the controller, The Cycle inhibit harness is bad, that’s the one that has the small box attached to it that comes out of the validator or you’ve got a bad controller. If you have another Hamilton Bill changer you could try swapping the controllers around.

lilb93

Reaction score
I took both hoppers out and cleaned them, also took both validator's out and blew them out and wiped the eyes . Put it all back together and worked like a charm:) two hrs later wanted to so my son it worked. No dice same thing.:mad:

Randy

Reaction score
Does this Bill changer have 2 Hoppers and 2 validators and they are both doing the same thing, taking a bill and not paying out? That's really odd, sounds like a electrical component is breaking down when it gets warmed up.

MEP001

Reaction score
When the validator takes a bill and doesn't give change, does it cycle the bill into the stacker?

What does the flashing light on the controller indicate when it goes out of service when running the hopper manually? It will flash a certain number of times, pause, then flash another number of times and then a longer pause. That's the error code. They're listed on page 7 here: http://www.hamiltonservices.org/Documents/101-0009.pdf

It sounds like you have a DRS changer which is two separate changers in one cabinet. If only one side is giving you this trouble, the quickest way to diagnose it would be to swap components one at a time until the problem moves.

If you have the Etowah Valley adaptor on the validator, BE VERY CAREFUL if you unplug it from the validator to make sure you plug it back in the same way. It will plug in wrong very easily and it will damage the validator if you do.

Make sure you answer all the questions posed to you to help you get this figured out.

lilb93

Reaction score
It does have a or I will say two Etowah Valley adaptor . It does have two Validators and two hoppers. Im waiting on a Validator cleaner tis evening when my son goes to the wash and grab one there. It gives no error codes from the hamilton controller or the MEI validator.

The listing shows the back of the changer missing one hopper in photo https://syracuse.craigslist.org/for/4982587755.html

lilb93

Reaction score
They both are C-2000 controllers. I think I found the problem They plugged it in with a 200' extension cord. I moved it to a close plug and plugged it straight in and now it will take ones, five and tens no problem.

Randy

Reaction score
Cleaning the validator isn’t going to solve your problem. You never want to use a cleaning card on a Mars validator or any validator for that matter, it will ruin the belts. Use a Wet Towel or rubbing alcohol, you don’t want to get any cleaning agents on the belts. You’ve got a DRS changer. Do both sides of the changer have the same problem? If you don’t try flip flopping the controllers and see if the problem goes with the controller. When the validator accepts a bill and it doesn’t pay out does the bill go into the bill box or does it go about halfway down the stacker pusher plate and stop? I think you’ve got a validator problem or a controller problem.

Randy

Reaction score
They both are C-2000 controllers. I think I found the problem They plugged it in with a 200' extension cord. I moved it to a close plug and plugged it straight in and now it will take ones, five and tens no problem.
Yea good deal that you got it going.

lilb93

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. What Randy said about the bill not going all the way into the stacker plate. That is exactly what it was doing.
It seems ok now. Maybe the rough ride on the trailer from NY didn't help it.

mmurra

Reaction score
Just heard from hamilton that they are no longer servicing HV-X validators, as follows:

Effective July 16th 2015, Hamilton will no longer be repairing the HV-X series validator. This is due to discontinued parts.

In the event you have a problem with a HV-X validator, the Hamilton XE validator is the direct replacement. Hamilton part number 46-4003.

As always, thank you for your business and continued support of Hamilton Manufacturing Corp

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
That's horrible customer service. They should have stopped supporting that thing years ago, so they would be long gone by now. I had no idea anyone had the guts to use one of those things.

Randy

Reaction score
That would be correct, Hamilton will no longer repair or service the HVX validator. The HVX was discontinued about 15 years ago so most of the parts are obsolete and no longer available. What surprises me is the number of people who still use the old HVX.

JimmyFetner

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just purchased a new Hamilton XE and I plan to really try hard to take care of it. I have 3 old Hamilton HVX's. I tried calling that XCEL electronics y'all mentioned earlier in the thread but it rings and rings and no one answers. Does anyone have a different number for them that is listed when you search on the internet? Sometimes I will end up with the cell of a technician or customer service rep or a different number when dealing with companies I interact with for our primary business. Thought some of y'all might have info on that. I want to see if I can get one working HVX out of the three so I can use it as a back up. Thanks, I sure do appreciate this forum, has saved me! Oh, also, if y'all know of a different firm or a retired technician who does this as a part time gig, I am willing to try anyone.

Randy

Reaction score
There are 2 X-Cel electronics. What number are you calling? The best thing you can do with those HVX validators is to toss them into the dumpster. The XE validator have been in service for well over 20 years so there are a lot of used XE validators around, I've got 4 or 5.