What's new

Hamilton ACW4 - Cleaning the plastic?

spf8298

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with polishing the plastic on the front of their Hamilton ACW4 auto cashier? Mine is pretty dull and I'd like to shine it up so you can see the digital display better. I've considered using 2000 grit wet sanding paper and then polishing with toothpaste and baking soda or rubbing compound, but if there are better suggestions, I'm all ears.

Shaun

Randy

Reaction score
We’ve never had much success with trying to clean or polish the ACW Face panels. When they look dirty, faded we replace them. I think the newer ones look better than the old ones do. Try polishing it and give us an update.

MEP001

Reaction score
You might have to start with coarser sandpaper and end with finer than 2000, depending on how bad the hazing is. It won't hurt to start with 2000, you'll want to go to 4000 and maybe 8000 after - sanding is faster and easier than polishing. I use Blue Magic metal polish to finish it. You might want to watch a couple YouTube videos on the subject, just avoid any "ghetto" ideas from those.

spf8298

Reaction score
I took MEP001's advice.....I used 2000 grit 3M wet/dry sandpaper. I dipped it in the carwash soap solution and lightly polished the entire lexan screen. I then went over it with Blue Magic Metal Polish and it cleaned it up a lot. It took the dulness off and you can read the digital read-out a lot better. Thanks for info.

Shaun

Kevin James

Reaction score
We found that once they look tacky there isn’t much you can do to make them look like new again. We’d replace them and be one with it. The new face plates look better than the old faded white ones that they had. We just replaced a yellowed white plate on a bill changer with the newer style, polished up the stainless steel front of the changer. One of our first customers commented that he liked our new changer, it’s got to be 20 years old. Just replace them and be done with it.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I actually just cleaned mine with a brillo SS pad. Surprisingly, it looks much better. Took about 10 minutes!

Reaction score
I got one with my crypto upgrade u want it i have a custom decal on mine
make me an offer its yours i have no use for it ild like to get at least a buffet for me and my helper maybe $50

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
Sometimes I use one of those polishes for headlight covers on a drill with a buffing pad. It works pretty well. I did replace the lexan once and they look a lot better but they still at times need a buffing. I also use laquor (sp) thinner a bit where the credit cards scratch the face. I rub it very lightly then buff very rapidly with a dry rag.