What's new

Gross Revenue Per Bay

Memphis Mike

Reaction score
Hey all-

New at the Car Wash game. I own a 6 bay that has been mismanaged and picked up with a self storage facility.
It is averaging $176 per bay per week. What is your average per bay per week?

Everything is old, but works.
We are upgrading the following:

6 Bay Single color foam brush system with the following.
Air pump, hydro-minder, stainless steel solenoids, air regulators, pressure gauges,
stainless steel holding tank, low pressure overhead lines, foam brush drop lines, and
foam brushes with handles.

6 Bay foaming pre-soak/bug remover system with the following.
Air pump, hydro-minder, stainless steel solenoids, air regulators, pressure gauges,
stainless steel holding tank, low pressure overhead lines, and check valves.

6 Bay triple foam system with the following.
Air pump, hydro-minders, stainless steel solenoids, brass solenoids for each color,
air regulators, pressure gauges, 3 compartment stainless steel holding tank, low
pressure overhead lines, drop lines, brushes or foam guns.

6 Bay tire/cleaner brush system with the following.
stainless steel holding tank, low pressure overhead lines, curly hose for drop line,
round brush with handle, hose mount with foam generator to mound to purlin.

2 re-furbished vacuums.

Air meter with money box.

6 – 10 position instruction signs.

24- stainless steel matt holders. 4 per bay.

BSC deluxe meters with the following.
Bill acceptors, coin acceptors, crypropay tap&pay plus, led digital readout timers,
LED remote control, 10 position rotary switches, 2 medaco plug lugs per meter, and
2 abus disc. locks per meter for extra security, and coin boxes.

Thinking about adding Air dryers.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Offer "Bonus Time" Add Air dryers to 2 Bays - Bump up pressure in those bays - Charge 10-20% more for them and call the "Superbays". Cryptopay should be set to count up.

OurTown

Reaction score
$176/bay/week seems low to me but it is all over the place with car wash income. Yes, put in air dryers.

Roz

Reaction score
According to some published study from a long time ago revenue per bay averages $1000-$1200 per month. That being said it can be misleading as there are three primary factors that influence that number. Location, competition level, and demographics.

adding services that keep people in the bay and making it easy for them to spend money with credit cards are two great suggestions for bringing the place back to its glory.

Good luck.

Memphis Mike

Reaction score
Heavy soap, thick foam brush and HOT HOT water will go a long way with your customers.

Also everything should work perfectly, and the place should be spotless. The rest is out of your control
Which service should be hot water?

Etowah

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
I'd upgrade that lighting immediately
One of my first thoughts. also. The pealing paint and dirty brick just screams out for attention. The mixed colored hoses are an issue also, looks sloppy. At least some of the booms need work if not outright replacement. Those are lipstick thinks that can really improve the numbers. It's difficult some times but you need to take a step back and think about what the potential customers first impression is going to be. Air Dryers seem to be good way to get them to spend more time($$$) when you get them in but you have to get them in first.

Down the road: 2 Vacuums are not enough for a 6 bay. The limited pictures of the equipment are concerning. Corroded stands that appear to already show signs of being patched and visible oil/water are HUGE red flags.

TMoliver

Reaction score
Dan's right. There ae a lot of red flags looking at that old pump stand. Hope you are very mechanically incline or you are a fast learner, as I see a lot of leaks that need to be address as soon as you take the wash over. You need to make the wash more appealing to draw more customers in like. Cleaning the bay walls, adding up to date signages, putting a backing behind the mat clamps and better lighting like LED. Since you only have 2 vacuums that is the first new equipment to purchase before in bay dryers. You will need to clean up the combo's vacuums with decals and new hoses. Make sure the motos and filters are in good working order.

Good luck.

Randy

Reaction score
The place looks like it needs a whole lot of Love. Everything needs a good cleaning. The bill changer needs a new face plate, the vending machines could use new decals, the foam brush heads need to be changed to hog hair. What does the front of the coin boxes look like? It looks to me like who ever painted the place painted over the dirt, rust, no prep work when they painted. What competition is there in the area?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Don't know what your budget is but if that place is doing 55K annually as it is now I think you could double that with a cosmetic upgrade and update as it looks like you're planning to do..

Buy 20 gallons of Wall cleaner from the vendor of your choice and have at the walls. It will take multiple applications if it comes clean enough.

Unless those are T5 HO fixtures I would upgrade lighting to LED lighting and paint at the least the underside of the ceiling white.

You could call a canopy company and see what they would charge to put a 3-4 ft mansard to give the building some height and look more modern.

I would not put bill acceptors in the bay- that doesn't look like a low crime area and your handle suggest you're is Memphis, not exactly a low crime town. You're inviting trouble. A drug addict can do 2K worth of damage in five minutes trying to get bills out of your meter door.

Eric H

Reaction score
I’m a little late to the conversation. I agree with everything said above but will add my 2 cents.
I think you may be well served by temporarily closing off 2 bays. Build a wall at each end and plywood over them. Just putting cones across will make them look broken, it has to be a wall. Paint the wall white and have a big sign made that says “temporarily closed for renovation”. WHY?!??!? WHY WOULD YOU CLOSE OFF 30% OF YOUR CARWASH?!?? Here’s the answer, at $176 per bay per week this place looks abandoned most of the time. By closing off those bays you now have the opportunity to have all of the remaining bays look busy. Looking like a busy Carwash brings in more business!
Make it look like there is something new and interesting happening at the wash and people will notice. If you do this the others bays MUST be clean and working 100%! No tape covering function selections that aren’t working. No leaking swivels. Lots and lots of soap! Don’t cheap out on the soap. It doesn’t cost that much $$$

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
I'm not in agreement on shutting down a couple of bays. A better idea is to plan on what improvements you want to make(Cleaning, signage, booms, etc) in the bays. When you have everything lined up, do a couple of bays a time but set aside the time you need so you can do it all at once, shut the power off in those bays, and do the updates so that customers can see the work being done. Put up signs saying "Bay closed for upgrade". Contrary to what some still believe, this is not an unattended business. Customers and potential customers want to see that someone cares. You want them to put a face with the business and have them believe that you are invested in making sure they have a great experience at your business.