What's new

Grocery receipt couponing...thoughts?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to put my wash on the local Kroger Superstore's register receipt. My only problem is that I do not have "code" capability. I will have to change out a complete ACW to do this. I plan to add a Rain-X type product and increase my best wash to $10 and offer $3 off with the coupon code.

I don't think I can add the code pad since my ACWs are already heavily modified and I just don't feel I can squeeze the stuff in there. I thought I would use this opportunity to upgrade to a receipt printer, faster processing, and bill dispensing.

Is this a home run or not?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So you're saying you can pay to be on grocery store receipts but to do so you need to buy a new cashier?

If you were attended at all you could give away tokennotes/tokens instead.

More info is needed.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW our grocery store receipt program is the only successful coupon wehave ever done with regard to the volume of redemptions. We are now in about 6 stores with the coupon listing the 4 locations and offering a free Sealer wax with wash purchase. I believe the cost / run is $400.00 per store for a 100,000 exposure which lasts abouut 3 months. On a busy Saturday each location may get 10 or more redemptions.

I am not sure why it seems to work well except that by their nature grocery shoppers may be coupon users.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
So you're saying you can pay to be on grocery store receipts but to do so you need to buy a new cashier?

If you were attended at all you could give away tokennotes/tokens instead.

More info is needed.
If I want to have the customer punch in a code, yes I need an ACW with that capability. I do not have one now.

This wash is not attended very much and is my worst performer. It is a 3 & 1 that is not far from my busiest wash. It is well kept, but we are there only to clean up and repair, we hang out at the big wash. The big wash has three autos. I ain't buying three ACWs and the small wash needs the shot in the arm anyway. Tokens and tokenotes are clumsier and add to the expense. I'm trying to get away from Tokenotes as much as possible.

Charliedog20

Wash em All Here
Reaction score
Coupons

We looked into this for our wash as well. We are attended for a few hours every day. We never took the step because the cost and the commitment in time (6 month contract). I'm not sure what company you are dealing with but I'm not sure it is possible to have consecutive code numbers to enter printed on the back of the receipts. If that isn't possible, that would mean the same code appears on the back of every receipt and as such would be good for anyone who knew the code, and perhaps for a prolonged period of time.

Is that the goal?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Please keep in my the numbers I gave are for tunnel washes. I would that the volume for an IBA would be considerably less. Also, the wors "FREE" is a magic word for offering the FREE SEALER WAX as well as advertising the low wash price.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
We looked into this for our wash as well. We are attended for a few hours every day. We never took the step because the cost and the commitment in time (6 month contract). I'm not sure what company you are dealing with but I'm not sure it is possible to have consecutive code numbers to enter printed on the back of the receipts. If that isn't possible, that would mean the same code appears on the back of every receipt and as such would be good for anyone who knew the code, and perhaps for a prolonged period of time.

Is that the goal?
I met with the rep this afternoon. The commitment is for 15 months @ $200 per, with a copy change each quarter if I wish. The same code would be on each coupon, so it would be good for at least a quarter and obviously a little past the end of the quarter should I chose to change the code. I would probably have "expires in 30 days" printed on the coupon also.

I'm probably going to do it unless Randy tries to rip me off on the ACW :eek:

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
The price might not be negotiable but if you press them the company will usually give you 2 or more stores in your area for the same price.

waright

Reaction score
My wash is in a grocery store parking lot. My competitor had his 1.00 off coupon printed on the back of that store's receipt. It said "$1.00 off any car wash". People bring them in to my wash all the time. Sometimes the receipt is cut off where the name of his wash is not on the receipt. I just wanted to thank him for the advertising this past year.