What's new

grit hauler in San Antonio

cherokee235

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a grit pumper in the San Antonio area besides SOS. They only want to do washes at 3 month intervals. My volume doesn't justify that. I may only need pumping every nine months, possibly annually. The salesman got really testy when I requested that. His rate doubled because of it, 80 cents per gallon plus extra trip charges. Ouch. Surely SOS is not a monopoly down here. Please offer some suggestions.

David

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I suggest to everyone reading PC&D Jan. 2009. Page 28. "when sediment and sludge is the pits."

"There's a chance it might not be hazardous after all."

"none of the several sites we tested have high enough levels of hazardous material to be considered hazardous waste."

Worth investigating further.

MEP001

Reaction score
Unfortunately SOS is the only viable choice other than someone like Roto-Rooter. SOS charges us a "dispach fee" of $250 to pump our pits when we call them rather than do it on a schedule, and I think it's BS. In any case it's still cheaper to pay twice as much per pumping and do it once a year than to pay them to do it on a schedule, but until someone else comes along we're stuck with them.

cherokee235

Reaction score
He didn't mention a dispatch fee, just 2x the price on the volume plus trip charge. Will they accept a 6 month interval or 9 month? Three months is just too soon. They are taking all water and no sand. That is easy money for them.

David

Randy

Reaction score
David,
What does it cost to have your pits sucked out? Total cost?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am definitely looking at alternative methods to pit pumping. Has anyone ever looked into this?

cherokee235

Reaction score
David,
What does it cost to have your pits sucked out? Total cost?
If I do it quarterly $450 with trip charges. 1000 gallons. I have 5, but only pump the grease/grit trap. The other 4 I dig out myself, dry and discard with regular trash per TCEQ rule. City will no longer let me do the grease/grit interceptor trap (last trap in series before city sewer) this way. It must be hauled by a licensed pumper when 40% full.

If I go on per call basis, .80 cents/gal plus trip charge was the quote I got last Friday.

David

Randy

Reaction score
You?re talking about the oil water separator tank or grease trap tank. I haven?t had my oil water separator mine pumped in a year or 2. The last time I had it pumped I called a septic tank company and they pumped it out, I should have it pumped out again soon. I think it was about $385.00 the last time. It?s only a 450 gallon tank, the last time I had it pumped they tried to charge me for a 1000 gallon tank. I have T?s on all of the outlets of the pits to trap any floating debris or oil from going into the oil water separator tank, the T?s on the outlets help out a lot. The only thing in my tank is the fine muck that drops out of the water, never see any oils in there. I?d call around to some of the septic pumpers and see if they?d do it.

dclark3344

Reaction score
How are your pits constructed? My pits are 3' wide x 8' long x 6' deep on the drain end I have a 4 inch elbow that has an 18 inch nipple so it takes the water out of the middle. I have a divider wall that is only 16 inches from the drain end and the top of the wall is just above the bottom of the drain pipe in the wall. I also have a 1/4" plastic plate at an angle over this water cavity so that all my solids stay on the large pit side and I can fill it to over 5 foot high. It takes me a year to fill the pits and the pump service runs all the water back off into the pits where I am only paying for the solids removal.

cherokee235

Reaction score
How are your pits constructed? My pits are 3' wide x 8' long x 6' deep on the drain end I have a 4 inch elbow that has an 18 inch nipple so it takes the water out of the middle. I have a divider wall that is only 16 inches from the drain end and the top of the wall is just above the bottom of the drain pipe in the wall. I also have a 1/4" plastic plate at an angle over this water cavity so that all my solids stay on the large pit side and I can fill it to over 5 foot high. It takes me a year to fill the pits and the pump service runs all the water back off into the pits where I am only paying for the solids removal.
Mine is 1000 gals and only need to pump about once per year, but SOS wants to do it quarterly. I need someone else.

David