What's new

Greatest Paint Buffing Fear Eliminated

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
After bringing the electric dual-action buffer into mainstream detailing years ago (motivated by the pneumatic D/A used in bodyshops), I've always contended that a variable-speed orbital with adequate torque should be able to duplicate the benefits offered by the high-speed rotary... but without the risks inherent to the rotary's such as swirls and burns.

Over the years, I've been evaluating a number of "orbital" (eccentric) polishers in a quest to replace the need for high-speed rotary buffers in traditional detailing. My target as been removing 1500, and eventually 1200 grit sanding scratches without the risk of swirls. As well, the ultimate high gloss shine!

The 3 major factors in optimizing any buffing process are:
1. the tool (electric is the most practical power source)
2. the pad (wool, foam, blend, terry, etc)
3. the choice of liquid cleaners & polishes

A number of tools (domestic and imported) have made the grade, but so far... one stands out above the rest. It's the Flex XC3401 VRG. After using it with a number of variations and products, it does everything that a variable-speed rotary can do. And it does it with considerably less risk of swirls, holograms, and severe burnishing. No more fears of spray booth repairs. And it is every bit as quick as the rotary.

While my testing continues, I felt it important to alert detailers not already aware of the Flex performance accomplishments... in advance of the coming Spring detailing season. A quick search on Google will offer many sources and several write-ups.

I think Meguiar's has switched from the Porter-Cable tool to an off-shore manufacturer, and their new pad system matches up well with almost similar results. But try the Flex against anything else before you buy any new buffer. Most suppliers will provide a demo exposure for comparison.

Thought you ought to know...

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
I will have to agree that the Flex 3401 is a great tool. It has plenty of power to do whatever you want it to do and is a very stout built piece of equipment. I worked on a job with 40 people running these tools for roughly 8 - 10 hrs. a day for just over a week. Out of all the machines only 2 quit and it was because they had to much oil put on the felt ring, which Flex repaired at no charge. The Flex I took had already been used in the shop for 2 years before going out to this job so it was far from new, but no problems and still going strong.

Don't want to sound like a commercial but is a great tool. It has alot of corrective power and when paired with the proper pad and product it is a combo that is hard to beat. You also mentioned the Meguiar's new microfiber system. It's really hard to beat if you're looking for a system with great results in a short amount of time. The corrective power of the microfiber pad and cutting compound is amazing when used with the new Porter Cable DA. Once you've gone over the vehicle with the first step it is basically ready for the sealer. Great system to look into. Also, the new Porter Cable has much more power than the older version as does the new Megs dual action.

Sorry for the long post but hope it helps.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Great Tool

Hey Steve,

You're dead on with this tool. I discovered it about 2 years ago after reading an article while doing some research on Mercedes Benz paint. At the time I was running two detail shops for Mercedes Benz and having a hell of a time with black paint and swirl marks. In the article it talked about the Flex Polishers and Menzerna Products, which both come out of Germany and are used in the Mercedes factories to repair assembly line paint damage.

The best part about this tool is that I can take a novice off the street day one on the job, put the tool in their hand and have them turning out fantastic paint finishes with no fear that I'm going to have to repaint a hood, fender moldings, etc... I no longer had to hire an "experienced wheel man" to buff. I could take novices train them correctly and turn out great looking cars with no swirl marks.

Rotary buffers still have their place... in the right hands, but this tool can do most if not all of what people are willing to pay for (both at the retail and wholesale dealer level).

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Couldn't Agree More

For the longest time, newcomers in detailing would be so intimidated by the rotary buffer that they'd wind up avoiding work simply because they were intimidated by the risks associated with rotary buffers and a war stories told by other detailers regarding paint damage and product splatter clean-ups.

The only thing that initially takes some getting used to is the rotation that is counter to a rotary tracking... but that difference fades quickly. And while seasoned detailers who still swear by the rotary will probably never give them up, the Flex really levels the playing field for newbies who now feel they can stand toe-to-toe on most anything that comes through the door.

The advances made in both products and pads provide even more empowerment, when used with the Flex 3401.

And from a labor management perspective, gone are the days when operators were forced to acquiesce to obnoxious prima-donnas with mediocre performance that previously felt secure with their job simply because they could hold a high-speed buffer. Indeed, that freedom alone will bring a smile to many faces. Don't you agree?

As for swirl marks, while the eccentric tracking should banish swirls when proper buffing skills and the right pads & products are effectively used, "swirls" will probably be inevitable when poor practices are used. Heck, you can put conspicuous swirls and streaks in dark colors with a poorly executed handwash! Pac-Man circles with a sponge and a low quality detergent with no lubricity can do it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
The only thing I use my rotary for is as a pad dryer/spinner. You can achieve 100% correction with much less time via DA. Wait til you try the new Meg's M101.....Game Over!

jfmoran

Reaction score
So.........no swirl marks at all???

Wax,

When getting aggressive with the Flex, using say the cutting pads and a 1000 compound, you will get spider webbing and some hazing, however, it is uniform, and does not create the holograms and race tracks (those highs and lows) that we see with swirl marks from a rotary. A polish/cut pad and some 1500 will eliminate the spider webbing and produce a phenomenal finish and shine.

What is great about the Flex is that you can work the product aggressively in a checkerboard pattern, applying pressure and even holding the buffer in one spot and pushing down, with no worry of burning through the clear. The heat that is generated is minimal.

Pro-Techt

Reaction score

buda

Reaction score
I would agree that the Flex is the "Cadillac" of the dual action electric tools.

Further, like a rotary buffer, if you use the Flex or any dual action with the wrong compound or pad for the paint finish problem you will get scratches. You may think of them as swirls, but they are scratches in the form of swirls.

PNEUMATIC DUAL ACTION

We have opted for an air powered dual action that offers as much as the Flex and more, plus it is less expensive.

You can buy the tool; equipped with a chrome adapter and a set of five 6" diameter dual sided pads for under $220.

This tool requires less than a 5HP compressor to operate.

Regards
Bud Abraham

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Pneumatic Tools Are Great... But With Limitations

Bud, I agree with pneumatic tools for detailing. Personally, I love them! They're lighter and more nimble. But they require a continuous supply of very dry air, often an impractical requirement for many detailers. And depending on the venue climate, dry air can be a challenge.

Many who use pneumatic buffers in cold weather venues must use gloves to hold the tool for any period of time if air isn't really, really dry.

As for matching tool, pads and chemicals... it's an "absolute must" for all performance buffing, whether rotary, orbital or dual-action.

-Steve

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got my Flex and am ready to try it.

Please guys suggest pads and products that will work best.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Love the Flex buffer. Powerful and smooth. Good at scratch removal. No swirls that I noticed. Need pads now!

buda

Reaction score
The BUFFPRO is the newest generation of buffing and polishing tools.

This drum style electric tool uses the same technology that has been used on airplane polishing for years, but the airplane model is pneumantic and is very heavy.

The BUFFPRO looks bulky and heavy but once placed on the vertical or horizontal surface of the vehicle you hardly feel the weight you simply let it glide over the surface.

It removes swirls left by a rotary buffer and does not put swirls in the finish.

And, a total novice can master it's use in one or two cars.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAILPLUS SYSTEMS

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love the idea of the Buffpro but the price point is high, as are the pad costs, IMO. This will be the obstacle to overcome with this new and admittedly exciting tool.

buda

Reaction score
Waxman, many detail customers think that a detailers prices are too high. Isn't price relative to value?
If the BUFFPRO can do a better job, faster and not require a prima donna technician to use it, is that not worth the price you pay?

Or, what about the price of a FLEX Dual Action vs a DeWalt or Porter Cable. Most detailers rave about the FLEX when the DeWalt and PC are just as good, in my opinion.

Just a thought about pricing on anything.

Bud Abraham

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Th Flex is properly weighted and balanced. It has variable speed and a trigger lock. It is easy to use and new techs can pick up the skill quickly.

Yes, price is relative. For me, the Flex was the right tool to purchase for my operation.

The Broadway Polisher may seem expensive to some, too, but if I had the opportunity and the space I would buy one.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I gave the Flex Buffer a real good hard workout recently, buffing a severly scratched Dodge Ram pickup. It had tree limb scratches all over the finish.

I used 3M Super Duty compound and a waffle foam cut pad followed by Pro #1 Polish and a waffle finish pad.

It was fast and easy and proced a result that both the customer and I were very happy with.

No buffer swirls were present that I could see.

buda

Reaction score
microfiber pads

Who has used or is using the new microfiber buffing pads? What is your opinion. I am told they are better than foam and can be used to cut as well as polish.

Any comments?

Bud ABraham