What's new

Gray water dumping at wash?

george361

Reaction score
I received an odd call today. Local Food Truck start up is looking for a location to dump gray water at the end of the day. Has anyone run into this type of request?
My initial inclination is to not allow. Not sure how I would determine a fair contract cost if I allowed. I was surprised to find the municipal water division was in support of allowing this.....

OurTown

Reaction score
Your drains are going to the sanitary sewer (unless your wash is really old) so I can see why the city is allowing it. I'm with you though on not allowing it.

MC3033

Reaction score
As long as there is no oil or chunks it could be worth it.

If your sewer isn’t metered and there is no chunks it wouldn’t cost you anything. I would just require them to buy bay time to clean up after (assuming this is a SS).

If there is potential for a lot of oil or waste I doubt it would be worth your time for what they can pay

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't allow any dumping. The carpet cleaners leave the bay smelling like a wet dog, the food carts dump their utensil washing water and it starts to smell like rotten food, and then they start getting bold and dumping grease. You can probably imagine what an RV sewage dump smells like. There's also liability to worry about if you allow it or charge for it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't allow it for the reasons posted above, plus who is going to monitor the process? Would you meet them there to oversee the process? How do they pay? What is the rate?

The car wash is designed for dirt from the roadway, not food waste. NO DEAL!

Randy

Reaction score
Years ago I had a food truck dumping their gray waste water at the car wash at night. What greasy stinking mess they’d leave, then a carpet cleaner saw them dumping their waste water and he thought it was ok to dump his waste water, so he had his guys start dumping at night. It took a while but we caught them and it got ugly real fast. They saw no problem in dumping their waste water. The carpet guy really pissed me off when he said “It’s just a car wash” and then he said where are we supposed to dump our waste water at, like it’s my problem. Needless to say they aren’t customers of mine and I’ve never seen them since. If you let one dump be prepared for many more.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
No way I'd allow it, the business and legal risks are sky high compared to the few bucks received.
(Yes, I've chased them off.)

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The only possible way I would consider it is through a cleanout with a strainer attached. I wouldn't want that water sitting in my pits.

MEP001

Reaction score
The only possible way I would consider it is through a cleanout with a strainer attached. I wouldn't want that water sitting in my pits.
Exactly, let them go to an RV waste facility and pay them.