What's new

Grace for vets

Etowah

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Grace for Vets is a great idea. As far as implementation goes, what if anything are you guys doing to verify:

1. That the person is a vet?
2. That the cashier doesn't say 42 vets came in when there were only 2?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right in the Grace for Vets website it says don't ask for i.d.

I never have and never intend to start.

People who would misrepresent being a Veteran have bigger problems that I'm not concerned with becoming involved with, so let Karma take care of them.

As far as accounting, you could use specially marked token notes, bills, tokens, vouchers the Vets sign, video surveillance, or count them yourself.

teamplex65

Reaction score
I have never asked for verification. Many times you will find that they are in uniform as they are going or coming from a ceremony. You will also find that many already have there id ready. These are good, good people. Many will tell you stories, and you will listen with amazement. I don't think I have ever had someone take advantage of me on this promotion, but its on there conscience, not mine.

You need a new cashier if you are even remotely worried about that.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
For me this is one day at the car wash that I really enjoy and have the chance to meet some of the best customers in the world.

Wecome them to the car wash
never ask for Id
thank them for their service

Last edited by a moderator:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

I don't worry aabpout theft because of procedures in place. Then I learn of a whole in the procedures and close it. Then I learn of another whole. And so on.

Leave $ on the table with the most "Honest" people around and see how many will leave it lie their if they think no one is watching and they won't get caught.

wood

Reaction score
If you can't find one honest cashier, then for all the service personeel do for us, maybe contribute your sweat equity for one day and cashier yourself.

wood

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you can't find one honest cashier, then for all the service personeel do for us, maybe contribute your sweat equity for one day and cashier yourself.

wood
My gratitude notwithstanding, I respectfuly decline to fill this position for an entire day at 4 locations.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My gratitude notwithstanding, I respectfuly decline to fill this position for an entire day at 4 locations.
You asked for ways to improve accountability and a few were offered.

How are we supposed to know your situation?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You asked for ways to improve accountability and a few were offered.

How are we supposed to know your situation?
Well, the only real answer was don't be concerned with people who may game the system. This is a legitimate tactic. Just not one I use. Experience has shown that I need to be concerned. The following was offered for accountability:

>>

As far as accounting, you could use specially marked token notes, bills, tokens, vouchers the Vets sign, video surveillance, or count them yourself.<<

1.Special tokens, Notes, etc. Great idea. Now, how do I get them into the hands of vets?
2. Vouchers the vets sign. What do I do call each one and say are you really a vet?
3. Video surveillance. What do i do? Watch 14 hours of video for each of 4 placesto see if the 50 people who claimed to be vets looked like real vets?
4. Count them myself? Count what myself? If htere are 50 vouchers were there really 50 vets? Did the Cashier say there were 50 and there were only 10?

I like #1 the best. anyone doing this? How do you get the vouchers into the hands of the vets. Basicly this is the system I use for all donations / fundraisers.

I control the vouchers and make sure they get to the proper people.

At the end of the day the cashier either has to have the money or vouchers to verify against the controller.

I have had a slick cashier buy the prepaid discounted coupon books or had an accomplice do it and then substitute prepaid coupons for the full price washes. He made an extra $15.00 to $20.00 a day doing this.

E.Joramo

Reaction score
We are giving out coupons for a free upgrade to our top wash with purchase of a basic wash as part of military appreciation.
Erik Joramo
Chief Computer Guy
Fast car Wash

DavidM

Reaction score
I understand your concerns about control. We decided to relinquish our controls for that one day. We sign up with Grace for Vets so we don't ask for proof. We actually use autocashiers at our wash which normally helps with control but on November 11th we put a button on the screen called "Veteran's Wash" and it is $0.00.
We have thoroughly enjoyed the Veteran's day wash. The community good will it creates is well worth the cost of giving away the washes and any possible theft. However, that is at our washes, in our demographic. I can't say the same is true everywhere for everyone. It certainly leaves a large loophole.

If you wanted some coupon/voucher control maybe you could hand them out to Veterans organizations to provide them to their members. It isn't perfect but may be a step in the right direction.

David

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW terminated one yesterday. (Unrelated to Grace for vets just stealing overall. ) Wasn't worried about it, then I suspected it, then I gathered evidence and canned him.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
One reality is that if you are sloppy with your procedures, you will put temptation where it doesn't need to be. Locks keep honest people honest.

teamplex65

Reaction score
I hate to hear that.

It taints your thoughts of the rest of your employees, especially if you never suspected it from the fired employee.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
One reality is that if you are sloppy with your procedures, you will put temptation where it doesn't need to be. Locks keep honest people honest.
One of the things this guy did was to counterfeit my wash tickets including buying the seperate Date validation stamp I Used. I have now ordered custom sequentialy numered tickets. It is available with microprinting on the back which is supposedly difficult to photocopy, 3 cents a piece in quantitly.

Anyone selling discounted tickets should consider this.

So, was I sloppy? Perhaps. Certainly taught me something.