What's new

Got License #, Now what?

sparkey

Reaction score
I have signs hanging in my bays warning people about large amounts of mud and debris is not allowd. If people ignore the signs and spray crap all over the place is there any recouse you can legally take? I have a couple license numbers but what to do with them? Will the police give me their info or is there a decent website that I can get their info from? At the very least I would like to find out who they are and give them a call.

soapy

Reaction score
I had guy once come and dump all his garbage out in one of the bays and take off. We had the license plate so we called the police. They told the guy to come back and clean up the garbage within 1 hour or they would issue him a public dumping permit. He came back and cleaned it up.

Louise

Reaction score
My police dept will not officially give me the info. However, one or two of the duputies will allow me to glance at their computer screen to get the info.

MEP001

Reaction score
publicdata.com has Ohio data but it says [old], so it's probably always a little outdated.

A friend of mine has signs up stating a $200 fee for leaving a bay muddy and unusable, and the police will chase down someone for that because it's theft of service (same offense as shoplifting).

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I'd think that you need a dollar amount of "damages" on your sign. Garbage, is littering, thus cops can respond. In some cities, mine for one, won't because they would rather have it in my dumpster, than in the street.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I have an account with Publicdata.com that will allow you to run tag numbers in many states. Be aware that you cannot do this for just casual reasons. Also be forwarned that when you send a letter to the parents of some teenage kid for doing something stupid at your car wash, the first words you'll hear from his parents will not be: Oh, I'm terribly sorry and embarassed; he is going to be punished for this. Rather, you will be castigated for "illegally" violating their privacy and they will demand to know how you got their info.

I have confirmed with my attorney that their right to privacy ends at your property line.

After I get chewed out is usually when I seize the opportunity to rid my life of one more numbskull and I ask them to stay off my property.

Last edited: