What's new

Goff Doors Locking up with LW4000

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
In March we opened a new IBA with a L4000 and Goff rollup Vinyl doors. Since that time we have had continuous problems with the doors not opening when they should. The problem was avoided for the summer months because I kept the doors in the forced open position.

Now that winter is upon us, I am having problems with customers paying for washes, the Access unit telling them to enter the bay, and the door not opening. Or worse yet, a customer is in the bay getting washed, and when the exit door is supposed to open, it wont and the customer is trapped.

The doors came with a button box which is attached on the outside of the track. It has an open, close, stop and a key slot on it. When these doors are working normally, you have to hold down the open button for the door to open. Same with the close function. When the doors are "locked up" neither the open, or close button will work. I've found that the first thing I have to do is go in the equipment room, open the LW4000 JO cabinet and pull the F05 fuse which is for the door controls. Then I can go out to the button box and operate the door. Pushing the open button first wont work. I need to push the "stop" button and then the "open" or "close" buttons will operate the door. My distributor that I purchased these $7K doors (each) from has been down a number of times trying to figure out the problem. They changed out a relay in the door control box from the LW4000, they have checked all of the wiring to make sure nothing is loose, they have talked to Goff and been told different things to check, and the doors are still messing up. During the install the Goff safety eyes were removed from the doors and we are wired into the PDQ door eyes that are tied back to the PDQ controller.

I'm totally frustrated because the roads are salty, cars are pulling up to the bay and I have it shut down because I cant afford to trap another customer inside, or p*ss off any more customers by having the entrance door not open after they buy a wash. Does anyone have any experience with these doors and how they communicate with an LW4000? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Demand better service from the distributor? Disable the doors and leave them in the upright position? We have IBA's here that operate with no doors.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Hard to believe they cost more than the alaskan! I guess i would have the distributor out there until it works correctly, or ask that they please be removed. One idea is that you said button needs to be held down until they are open, Does that mean a relay and a timer that would activate for 10sec would get the job done? Or possibly a relay that could hold the signal longer.
Whatever it takes to open it with the button, you need to emulate from the laser, whether it is a 2 sec, or 10 sec pulse.

kabak

Reaction score
Goff doors

Hard to believe they cost more than the alaskan! I guess i would have the distributor out there until it works correctly, or ask that they please be removed. One idea is that you said button needs to be held down until they are open, Does that mean a relay and a timer that would activate for 10sec would get the job done? Or possibly a relay that could hold the signal longer.
Whatever it takes to open it with the button, you need to emulate from the laser, whether it is a 2 sec, or 10 sec pulse.
you have to change programing in door operator to b2 and cancel stop button

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Kabak,

Is that programming in the Goff operator, or something in the LW4000 system? Goff told us to make sure dip switches 1&2 were in the off position, but I dont think they said anything about programming the operators. Do you need something special to do that?

Whale,
Yes, these are as expensive as the AirLift polycarbonates that I have on all of my other IBA's. We needed the roll up because the bay was too short and the doors are mounted on the outside of the building.

ScottV

dreese

dreese
Reaction score
1. Be sure the X44 (entrance door eyes) and X45 (exit door eyes) inputs are constantly made. If they are intermittient, the doors will not come down.

2. I'm not familiar with these specific doors, but remember the L4K does not send a "stop" signal as such. All it does is close a dry contact relay in J2. The door operators must be wired not to require a "stop" signal - they must accept a reverse signal without a reset (hitting the stop button). Programming in the automatic door control of the L4K holds the "Up" signal
(Y50 for entrance, Y52 exit) long enough to activate a maintained contact opener (having to hold the manual door opener button).

3. If the doors are wired to accept an instant reverse command, the next thing I would look at would be the relays themselves in J2. They are located in J2, upper left corner. Older relays were by Idex and yellow-orange in color. As they age, they can hang up - make sure the wiring is tight and they are firmly seated in the bases.

4. You can monitor the control sequence by using 100 [ENT] 20 [ENT]. Force the control sequence - 100 [ENT] 8 [ENT] for entrance, 100 [ENT] 9 [ENT] for exit- then go to the [20] screen. You can watch them go thru a timing / door state sequence while the door operates and if it stops before state 9 (idle) this will give your PDQ distributor info he needs to solve your problem.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Just to close out this post, with the final solution. We spoke with the head engineer at Goff who told us the first two fixes (power conditioning and dip switches) are their normal response. Once it's determined that those fixes dont work they then have a work around to bypass the control board. They believe that the wash / door controls are sending two signals simultaneously which causes the board to go into diagnostics mode. The only way to reset that is push the "Stop" button.
They have asked their circuit board manufacturer to allow an option that turns off the diagnostics mode, but until then they have a wiring work around which is what my distributor was able to do. So far the doors have worked correctly and we havent had the issue since the band aide was applied.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions on this very frustrating situation.
ScottV