What's new

Gloss Options

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Should I offer options to detail customers on interior vinyl gloss?

Do you? I could do:

1. High Gloss
2. Regular Gloss
3. No gloss.

What say you?

TIA.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Should I offer options to detail customers on interior vinyl gloss?

Do you? I could do:

1. High Gloss
2. Regular Gloss
3. No gloss.

What say you?

TIA.
I stopped using high gloss years ago. I use an aerosol that can be wiped down to produce a gloss that is close to what the plastic looked like when new.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, that's cool. But some clientele enjoy a super glossy dash etc while some like and ask for no dressing whatsoever.

What brand of aerosol do you use?

Thanks!

soapy

Reaction score
My vinyl dressing can be used as it comes for a shiny finish. For a satin finish dilute it with water at 3 parts water and 1 part dressing. For flat I use 4 parts water. Most people like the satin finish which is closed to what it looks like new. No one seems to want a shiny finish anymore.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Yeah, that's cool. But some clientele enjoy a super glossy dash etc while some like and ask for no dressing whatsoever.

What brand of aerosol do you use?

Thanks!
I use a product called FD-12 Shine. http://www.professionaldetailingproducts.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=3

FD12 - SHINE
SILICONE LUBRICANT
An awesome Final Detail product! Restores, preserves, and shines - just spray on any vinyl surface! Nothing could be easier, especially in hard to reach interior areas. Hold can 8-10" from surface, and spray lightly in a sweeping motion. Mists on, leaving a semi gloss, original looking shiny surface. Not a wet product, dries almost immediately, no need for wiping. One of our best selling products!! A staple for every shop.
For years I used Proshine from Pro. After they changed their formulation I switched to this product.

buda

Reaction score
Have always operated on the principle of KISS...

Keep it simple.

Detailers are the experts and only a very few customers will tell the "expert" what they specifically want. In my 30 years in the detail business I can count on one hand the number of customers who "demanded" that I use this or that on their car.

That said, my approach to dressing/protectants is this:

a. No solvent-based dressings used anywhere on the car. They are too shiny and slick for interiors; they breakdown and deteriorate rubber hoses and belts on engines and could ignite due to the heat in the engine and on tires they mix with the carbon black on the tires and sling off and cause permanent paint damage on light colored cars.

b. Use one "high gloss" dressing (high silicone content) product that I use on tires and engines for high gloss. On interiors I wipe it on and wipe it off to obtain a "satin-finish" on interiors.

You do not want to leave a high gloss on the dash no matter what the customer says because that high gloss causes a terrible reflection when the sun hits it and could cause a moment of blindness for the driver and voila, you have a lawsuit on your hands.

So, personally one good high gloss, water-based dressing is all you need.

Regards
Bud Abraham