What's new

Glad this isn't my carwash

PEI

Reaction score
IMG_2256.jpg

This is a first generation G5 that a friend of mine owns. I sure am glad its not mine.:D

jcollins

Reaction score
lol, I'm sure glad I didn't have to go get that one back up and running! That poor G-5 looks like it had plenty leaks before it froze, ain't no telling what all busted after it froze! Man,that looks sad!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Um, Hello!!!!!!! Get some doors for this carwash!:eek:

I just cannot understand y'all who do not have doors in cold climates!!!:confused:

Sure, open bays say:"come on in, we are open".

But a carwash looking like this says "I F-d up and chose no doors".

Sorry, it's true and y'all know it.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Oh man, I feel horrible for that guy. What a mess. Judging by the different colors of ice, looks like he has more problems than just freezing up!

This is what keeps me awake at night, wondering if this is happening at my washes. Even though I put a lot of intelligence and precautions to prevent it, something could still go wrong.

If I were him, I'd probably pull up a chair in front of the bay, crack open a beer, and just stare at it for awhile. That way whatever happened, I'd remember not to let it happen again.

bigleo48

Reaction score
If no doors than at least a the weep option.

I was also under the impression that the 4000 and M5's could freeze solid with no damage to the bridge unit. Perhaps the G5 is a different beast.

BigLeo

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
If no doors than at least a the weep option.

I was also under the impression that the 4000 and M5's could freeze solid with no damage to the bridge unit. Perhaps the G5 is a different beast.

BigLeo
Yeah, now that you mention it, the wash is still spraying in the picture. If you notice, the bridge is at the wrong end of the wash too. It is positioned directly over the undercarriage. So, maybe there were no leaks in the G5 and all those icicles were caused by overaggressive weep from the undercarriage.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
This may sound hardcore, but I have absolutely no pity for this owner. If you are located in a cold climate or are in an area prone to permafrost, you have to be either ignorant, a moron or a cheapskate to not take appropriate measures to protect your investment. If this is a typically warm climate, the owner could have at least taken some measures like putting up some plywood or visqueen and using a torpedo heater to generate some heat to at least help keep the pipes and this sophisticated machine from freezing. Busted pipes, busted machine and lost revenue. What a screw-up.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
This may sound hardcore, but I have absolutely no pity for this owner. If you are located in a cold climate or are in an area prone to permafrost, you have to be either ignorant, a moron or a cheapskate to not take appropriate measures to protect your investment. If this is a typically warm climate, the owner could have at least taken some measures like putting up some plywood or visqueen and using a torpedo heater to generate some heat to at least help keep the pipes and this sophisticated machine from freezing. Busted pipes, busted machine and lost revenue. What a screw-up.
Wow, that does sound hardcore. This could have happened easily through no fault of the owner. E.g. A decent day of washing with cold weather. At the end of the day, someone with an extended hitch drives through stopping the machine directly over the underbody spray. No one is there to reset the machine until the next morning. The weep system weeps water all night in the cold causing all this ice to form. I will bet that this is exactly what happened. I don't think anything is busted.

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
The position of the bridge for a LaserWash G5 is just as you see it, at the entrance of the wash. Based off of the bay size, is is possible that the underbody can be located under the bridge. It is hard to tell if the ice is built up on the bridge or the frame (although you can see the 3X is built up on the bridge).

From the picture, you can also see that the machine is still weeping, so I am inclined to say nothing froze up (but I can't say for sure). It is a progressive weep, so the colder it gets, the more frequent the weep stays on (just like the 4000 or M5).

jcollins

Reaction score
Actually, it "may" not be as bad as it looks. It looks like it's in it's "home" position. A G-5 is a lot different than a 4000 or M-5.
I would think the wash had lost power for a few days in that extreme cold to have that much ice on the bay floor (that would explain de-ice boiler not keeping the ice off the bay floor). I just can't imagine someone spending as much money as they did on this wash and it not have any floor heat.
If the water was shut off to the site (water main broke?), weep water in all hoses and onboard heaters could freeze. The water we see spraying in the pic may be after it froze and busted the day before.
Most sites I see with G-5s use doors and heat the bay to minimize weeping.

I wouldn't be too quick to crucify the operator, we don't know all the conditions. After that ice storm that came through Ky. a couple weeks ago, I didn't have power at home for 8 days. I was fighting a Flu bug at the same time, it was one of the most miserable weeks that I can remember!

Hopefuly he's got her thawed out and washing cars again by now!

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Yeah, right and pigs can fly. Look at the glacier. In Florida, when the weather forecast even hints at a frost, growers use smuge pots, etc. to protect their crops. The owner either didn't think about looking at the weather forecast or didn't care. Either way, he way he wasn't prepared and paid the price. Why defend someone who seemingly didn't have the common sense to do something? Of course, if aliens came down and blasted his $125K or so machine with an ice-beam then I guess the owner would have a good excuse.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Yeah, right and pigs can fly. Look at the glacier. In Florida, when the weather forecast even hints at a frost, growers use smuge pots, etc. to protect their crops. The owner either didn't think about looking at the weather forecast or didn't care. Either way, he way he wasn't prepared and paid the price. Why defend someone who seemingly didn't have the common sense to do something? Of course, if aliens came down and blasted his $125K or so machine with an ice-beam then I guess the owner would have a good excuse.
LOL, we are all making excuses for ourselves in case this was us and you won't cut us any slack. You crack me up.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm not gonna say too much since I've frozen four autos this winter (and I have doors and heat). If you operate in a freezing climate once in a while Mother Nature is going to win. It's pretty easy for RR to sit down there in Florida and cast judgement on this operator. It's a lot like skinny people that seem to know all about how fat people can easily lose weight.

Etowah

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Cracking you up was my intent.

Back in late 60's when I worked full-service in Pa. I remember it being so cold one time that the owner poured kerosene on the conveyor and set it on fire to melt the ice build-up. When I was involved with full-service in Ga. the original owner of one of the sites I managed designed the facility with no slab heat or automatic doors. The overhead forced air heaters were ancient and produced about as much heat as a hair dryer in a two-car garage. In the winter with the doors open and the wind whipping, ice would eventually form on the cloth brushes even with a torpedo heater running in the bay. I have also done some consulting work in Canada where the severity and duration of winter causes owners to totally enclose the entire operation in a single building.

Of course, accidents can happen to anyone and will depend on the circumstance. However, I would guess that 95% or more of IBA operators who frequent this site are wise enough to take adequate measures to help ensure that this type of glacier would not happen to them.

Wally

Reaction score
There is a PDQ Tandem in my town that looks even worse than this when it's real cold. Nice looking wash with no doors. I'll post some pictures if we get more real cold weather.

PEI

Reaction score
Actually, it "may" not be as bad as it looks. It looks like it's in it's "home" position. A G-5 is a lot different than a 4000 or M-5.
I would think the wash had lost power for a few days in that extreme cold to have that much ice on the bay floor (that would explain de-ice boiler not keeping the ice off the bay floor). I just can't imagine someone spending as much money as they did on this wash and it not have any floor heat.
If the water was shut off to the site (water main broke?), weep water in all hoses and onboard heaters could freeze. The water we see spraying in the pic may be after it froze and busted the day before.
Most sites I see with G-5s use doors and heat the bay to minimize weeping.

I wouldn't be too quick to crucify the operator, we don't know all the conditions. After that ice storm that came through Ky. a couple weeks ago, I didn't have power at home for 8 days. I was fighting a Flu bug at the same time, it was one of the most miserable weeks that I can remember!

Hopefuly he's got her thawed out and washing cars again by now!
Actually you are right, it is in its home position. The wash is located in the southeast, where we rarely see enough freezing temperatures to need doors. It also does not have floor heat, and all of this seems to be have been caused by the way it weeped. When I took the picture it was about 25 degrees. It had gotten down to 18 degrees the night before, but I still found this amount of ice build up to be kind of excessive. Hey, what do I know, I don't actually operate any G-5s, just 4000's.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
why not just put in some cheapo doors in the event you may need them as well as a way to blow some heat into the bay?

all this could be done for a few grand I'm sure. Heck, you could have manual doors and just pull em down when it dips below 32F.