What's new

GINSAN RO Canister End Caps Leak

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I have a 1yr old RO unit from Ginsan, and the plastic endcaps on the membrane canisters keep leaking. They've been replaced once already, but they appear to crack where the brass nipples are screwed in. Has anyone ever found stainless or aluminum endcaps made by someone to replace these plastic pieces of junk? If there's no source for them, I'll probably take a plastic one to a local machine shop and see if they can make me some out of metal.

MEP001

Reaction score
Could they be cracking from the fittings being overtightened? I've never had an issue with any of them, I just tighten them not much past hand tight.

STXCW

Reaction score
Use a couple turns of teflon tape then add Rector Seal Tru Blue. If using only teflon tape, you tend to overtighten and with time it will break and leak. I use True Blue on all brass to plastic or on high pressure functions

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Quote from Spears Manufacturing regarding their PVC fittings:

"THREADED CONNECTIONS: Use a quality grade of thread sealant approved for plastics, such as SPEARS BLUE 75. Some sealant compound chemicals may cause stress cracking. 1 to 2 turns beyond finger tight is generally sufficient for plastic threaded connection. Do not over tighten."

I use and follow their advice with great success.
BLU-2-0200_1010.pdf (spearsmfg.com)

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Could they be cracking from the fittings being overtightened? I've never had an issue with any of them, I just tighten them not much past hand tight.
I think that's exactly what is happening. It's the local distributor's technicians that are servicing the machine, and they assure me they aren't over tightening them.

celica

Reaction score
I have had the same issue with the end caps cracking. I have used a torque wrench and still have them crack. If they aren't tight enough, then they leak around the threads. It's been really annoying, as they last about 1 year before cracking. I posted this problem here on the forum about a year ago, your the first one who also has the same problem. My R.O unit is also a Ginsan. Forget trying to use a plastic sealant to seal the crack. I tried 2 different ones with no luck. These caps should be made out of metal as you said. I have tried Teflon only and Teflon with Megaloc thread sealant. Let me know if you find a solution, I can't get mine to stop cracking.

MEP001

Reaction score
Last edited:

celica

Reaction score
I torque them at 55 inch pounds. The spec is 65 but I deduct 20% when using the liquid sealant. I actually contacted Dan at Ginsan but he couldn't see why this was happening. Replacing the housing isn't likely to help if they use the same caps.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've used that housing I posted. It's very robust. It would certainly be cheaper than having custom stainless steel caps made.