What's new

Giant Headache; Giant Problem

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Four of six of my 8 yr. old German made pumps have blown out oil seals in the last month. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is this a regular PM item. Only the pressure seals have been changed to date. Is it worhtwhile to rebuild?

Using another brand at different location and have not experienced this problem in almost 20years.

Thanks.

MC

MEP001

Reaction score
Changing oil seals is relatively simple and inexpensive on plunger pumps. Is that what you have?

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Yes, they're plunger pumps, model 56W. Probably not worth the expense of sending out, so I may tackle one and see how it goes.

What are the attributes of Arimitsu?

Randy

Reaction score
I'd dump the Giant pump faster than you can say Giant pumps

The Arimitsu pumps are:
There easier to service
They have a better warranty
They are quieter
They withstand head washout better than most other pumps
They are less expensive than the other pumps

MEP001

Reaction score
Mr. Clean said:
Yes, they're plunger pumps, model 56W. Probably not worth the expense of sending out, so I may tackle one and see how it goes.
There may be a common cause with having so many pumps with the same problem in such a short time, like maybe an employee filling the crankcase to the top with oil instead of to the proper level, or even swapping out a bad pump with a repaired one and not replacing the top plug with the breather/dipstick.

When you change the piston oil seals, you'll also need to replace the seals on the plunger bolts.

Randy

Reaction score
I've never had a Cat pump head wash out. I've replaced lot of them at other washes. But not at my wash.

I'd get rid of the Giant pumps, there a Giant pain in the @@@