What's new

getting business picked up?

csmith

Reaction score
looking for tips to getting my self serve to bring more people in and do more over all for the year, ive got a 5 bay wash with 4 vacs out front and 2 vac out back, business isn't bad just looking for wash to improve and bring in a little more $$$...

MEP001

Reaction score
Start with the basics, keep it clean, give them plenty of product, check everything every day to make sure it works reliably. That's all I've ever done, and I brought a wash from $1,200 a month to $14,000 a month with that.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Certainly, you don’t want to mess up a good thing but why settle for tips?

After all, “business isn’t bad” like the example given.

Two general ways to increase business substantially is to increase store attraction rate and customer loyalty rate.

Attraction rate involves generating new customers.

This means doing things that raise curb appeal above and beyond normal housekeeping and maintenance.

This could include stuff such as new street and building signs, better night lighting, brighter color scheme, LED bay lights, building accents, façade, American flag pole, etc.

Also, a responsive website and customer phone app is great for attracting the younger generation.

Customer loyalty program provides customers with rewards for their repeat business. Goal is to get customers to visit more frequently, spend more per visit, and retain them longer.

Total improvements maybe $60,000 to $70,000, excluding flag.

Add another $30,000 and you could probably install an in-bay instead.

Food for thought

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Everything works?
Everything is Clean?
Lighting is good?
Bill accepters?
Credit Card Accepters?
Bonus Time?
Superbay?
Hand Held Bowers in Bay?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Robert is 100% right a IBA could double your current income more than anything you could do as long as your site will support it. Car count, demographics, and competition and how much business you currently do is a factor. You just have to be very careful going about it. Converting a 5 bay to a 4/1 is a smart move

99Roadking

Reaction score
FRESH PAINT......keep your bollards and the front of the wash with that freshly painted look. This has helped us more than anything. We also installed two of the flags on poles in each island in the very front of the lot.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Assuming you have taken care of the basics, I believe the best way to draw in more/repeat customers is marketing & advertising.

The best form of advertising for me by far has been the 3' signicade signs that I create for myself, I put them right next to the street. I have about 40-50 of them, change them regularly. It attracts a LOT of attention, people quote them to me in the grocery store, school functions, etc. Always hard to be certain at a self serve, but I think it has made a big difference in revenue.

I also alter them into 12x18 versions and put them on the columns between the bays (these are mostly advertising), and 8x10 versions for plastic stand-up picture frames - these go on the counter at the bank, fund raisers, etc.

For example the last 10 days has been a "pollen" sign. Tomorrow will switch to mothers day. Then nothing for a week or so (maybe the pollen sign for a couple days), then memorial day signs. I'm currently installing the air shammee blow dryers, so probably the month of July will be an ad for "New blow dryers, try it free during July" - one version for the signicade, one for in the bays, and one to put an ad in the local paper.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Start with the basics, keep it clean, give them plenty of product, check everything every day to make sure it works reliably. That's all I've ever done, and I brought a wash from $1,200 a month to $14,000 a month with that.
MEP knows wth he is doing & this scenario is NOT a real world scenario. It was the PERFECT storm. If it is ran down , but in a decent area, you do what he says & HOPE to double gross revenue.

Jerry

Reaction score
Try making your vacs free. This will surely bring more people to your site. There’s a debate in another thread of whether the positives outweigh the negatives. You might want to search for it to hear both perspectives.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have a huge road project going on right in front of my wash at the corner. They're building a traffic circle.

My business is up 30%. Not sure if it's because of the much slower moving traffic ( 45-50mph to 15mph ) or dirtier cars from the construction.

Not complaining

MEP001

Reaction score
Try making your vacs free.
Vacuums can be a substantial income source. Instead of just giving free vacs to see if it helps, first try making sure they're clean inside and out and work well and give a decent amount of time for a fair start-up price. There are situations where free vacs can bring in customers, but IMO it would be foolish to just give up that revenue.

csmith

Reaction score
Assuming you have taken care of the basics, I believe the best way to draw in more/repeat customers is marketing & advertising.

The best form of advertising for me by far has been the 3' signicade signs that I create for myself, I put them right next to the street. I have about 40-50 of them, change them regularly. It attracts a LOT of attention, people quote them to me in the grocery store, school functions, etc. Always hard to be certain at a self serve, but I think it has made a big difference in revenue.

I also alter them into 12x18 versions and put them on the columns between the bays (these are mostly advertising), and 8x10 versions for plastic stand-up picture frames - these go on the counter at the bank, fund raisers, etc.

For example the last 10 days has been a "pollen" sign. Tomorrow will switch to mothers day. Then nothing for a week or so (maybe the pollen sign for a couple days), then memorial day signs. I'm currently installing the air shammee blow dryers, so probably the month of July will be an ad for "New blow dryers, try it free during July" - one version for the signicade, one for in the bays, and one to put an ad in the local paper.
Are you still using these signs, post a few pictures

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
Firstly, a new member from Australia. So, hello and thanks for having me on board.

We've managed to grow a small carwash in rural Victoria, Australia over the last 16 months from about $150 / day to about $225 / day. The feedback that we get is mainly about (i) everything works (ii) there is always good soap concentration and (iii) the place is clean. We have also vastly improved lighting, upgrade all signage and done some painting.

Our next steps are going to be an LED advertising sign, remainder of the painting and replacement of some perished hoses. Then I'm sure there will be more after that!