What's new

Getting broken key out of Abus lock

slash007

Reaction score
I have an Abus disk lock that has the key broken off deep inside. It is the version that has a hole in the back behind the keyhole, and in the past I was able to just stick something in there and get the broken part of the key out. This one is stubborn and not moving at all. Any suggestions?

MEP001

Reaction score
I had that happen to one recently, never got the key out, lock would open and close easily.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Have you got the other part of the key? Maybe you can maneuver it to get the lock open and then work on it.

ICEMAN

Reaction score
I think the abus locks have the key number stamped on the key. Cut the lock off and get a new one with that same key number

Randy

Reaction score
It all depends if the lock has a regular type key or the pick proof type key. Sometimes you can pick the broken key out of the lock if it's a regular type key lock. If it a pick proof type lock, cut it off. You'd be surprised at how easy the ABUS locks are to open.

slash007

Reaction score
It's a cheap regular lock. Don't mind cutting it off and I have a spare, but figured I fish key out if there was an easy way

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I use a set of tips used to cleaning torch tips, they are sturdy and come in different sizes, it has made getting those broken keys out a breeze

Mchas

Reaction score
I have a “key extractor” set that I have had good luck with several times. Different shapes and sizes that you stick in the lock and then pull the broken key piece back out.

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
I use o-ring picks and pull the key out far enough to grab with a small pair of needle nose pliers.