What's new

Get rid of your landline at home or office

zepher

Reaction score
These things work great. I have a similar system. I transferred my business number (land-line) over to a cell company and I'm saving a ton. I have it hooked up to our answering machine and the customers have no idea that they are calling a cell phone.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
These things work great. I have a similar system. I transferred my business number (land-line) over to a cell company and I'm saving a ton. I have it hooked up to our answering machine and the customers have no idea that they are calling a cell phone.
So do you have to have your cell phone at the car wash for it to work?
Or does it work even if your cell phone is not at that wash?
What's the system that you have?

zepher

Reaction score
I purchased the Cobra PhoneLynx (BT 215) off of Amazon for about $35. I just purchased a cheap cell phone that offered Bluetooth connectivity and left it at the wash hooked up to the Cobra system. Every once in a long while it will drop the Bluetooth connection (it may be the cheap phone I purchased) but I just reconnect it. Yes, you have to leave the cell phone there otherwise it won't work.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Thanks
I thought so but wasn't sure if I was missing something.
A friend of mine wanted an alarm service at his wash but didn't have a land line so he bought a cell phone (kept it plugged in) and hooked his alarm service to it.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
Has anyone tried porting their home phone to MagicJack Plus? It is a $70 USB gizmo that you connect to your home router (internet) and the other phone jack you plug into an existing phone jack of your house. You are feeding the magicjack phone line throughout your existing phones in the house. Phone service costs $100 for 5 years or $20 PER YEAR. I have one and it works fine and I haven't pulled the trigger on porting my home phone number. You can install the free application on your iPhone and receive your home phone calls on it from anywhere you have data service. It has voice mail too. They are emailed to you. So far so good.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I have magicjack ($40) and you can plug it into your house jacks and the only thing that I have seen is that all phones won't ring. There is also a Skype box ($30/$40) that will do the same thing, you can get a phone #, and for $36 a year you can call anywhere in the US/CAN. For $0.03 you can call most landlines around the world.

One issue is obviously, if/when your Internet goes down, you have no phone, and you can't rel1bly use them for your alarm system, as reading the tones seems to work erratically.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I have magicjack ($40) and you can plug it into your house jacks and the only thing that I have seen is that all phones won't ring. There is also a Skype box ($30/$40) that will do the same thing, you can get a phone #, and for $36 a year you can call anywhere in the US/CAN. For $0.03 you can call most landlines around the world.

One issue is obviously, if/when your Internet goes down, you have no phone, and you can't rel1bly use them for your alarm system, as reading the tones seems to work erratically.
Ringing multiple phones likely has to do with the current draw of all the phones. Try a cordless phone system and that should fix it.

Alarm system reliability is really a bit rate availability issue. This can be an issue with Skype and magic jack, but I would also put the voip interface at the head of the network and if possible setup some rules in your router to prioritize traffic to that device. It will help, but I personally wouldn't hook up an analog alarm system to these service. I hae had good success with other VOIP services such as Vonage (when vocoder set to high bit rate) and my cable VOIP provider.