What's new

General pump problem!!!!

Kirb

Reaction score
I have a general emperor htck 4050s that I have a major problem with. Two weeks ago oil started pouring out the bottom of my pump. I was at the wash so I pulled the breakers before the pump burned up. Called general and replaced the pump oil seals. No problems till this morning when I got to the wash pump lost all its oil again. This pump is only a year and a half old!!! I took the head off and pump still spins freely replaced the seals again and ran pump. Worked great for about 1 minute and poured oil out again. I have change oil regularly with general oil and never water in it. General said send it back for repair on my dime and be without a pump for a couple of weeks in peek season. Does any have similar situation or know the problem.
Thanks,
Kirb

MEP001

Reaction score
Do you have the proper vented dipstick in the pump or have you left the red plug in it that it comes with from the factory? The plug will cause the crankcase to build pressure as it heats up and it blows out the oil seals.

Kirb

Reaction score
Mep,

Thanks for your reply. I do have the proper dipstick in. It does keep blowing the same seal so it make me think it has something to do with the plunger guide.

Thanks,
Kirb

MEP001

Reaction score
Could you tell by examining the oil seal why it might have failed?

Without the proper tool, the oil seals are a little difficult to install, and they have to be driven into the crankcase to stay put. It's also difficult to keep the lip of the seal from turning inside-out while installing it over the piston, which can cause it to leak.

Kirb

Reaction score
Mep,
The seal looks perfect. The seals are popping out so the oil rushes out. I am seating them in good. Talking to general they haven’t had any seals pop where the oil rushes out.
Thanks,
Kirb