What's new

General Pump CW1541--metal shavings

lag

Reaction score
The proper way to remove such a pulley is to run the three bolts into the threaded holes on the sheave and force the pulley off of it, then the sheave slides off the shaft. You reassemble the parts loosely, slide the pulley assembly over the new pump shaft and tighten the three bolts. The pulley will shift over a little, so you'll have to compensate when aligning the belts.

If you don't loosen the three sheave bolts, you'll never get the pulley on the new pump without damaging something.
The above quote is correct, you may also have a set screw to loosen on the sheave,after you push the pulley back with the bolts ,you will be able to get to the set screw.

MEP001

Reaction score
Most don't have a set screw, and most don't even use it when there is one, but it's usually in the rim of the sheave and not hidden by the pulley.

jcollins

Reaction score
The set screw will be on top of the key between the pulley and shaft, you can get to it with the pulley over it but it's hard to see it.

After using the three bolts to seperate the pulley, I usually drive a screwdriver slightly into the crack of the tapered inner portion of the pulley to make pulley looser on the shaft (slide it on/off by hand).

raisetheprice

Reaction score
I'm the man

Got it all back together and it purrs like a kitten. I did have a leak at the swivel that connects the HP hose to the pump...replaced that. Then I suppose that the old pump grenaded and somehow caused the HP check to come apart...replaced that. Then about 5 nozzles were clogged from the slag from the old pump...fixed that. Pressure is right on...

Thanks for the help and suggestions...this forum probably saved me about $2K between labor charges and pump shopping...and I got to learn about something I can and will definately do again on my own.

Etowah