What's new

Gated Entries: UPS & DOWNS?

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
With hundreds in use, please share your candid thoughts on what are the up-sides and down-sides of using a gated entry system?

Should they be part-time or full-time?

And, in hindsight, how many is too many?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
With hundreds in use, please share your candid thoughts on what are the up-sides and down-sides of using a gated entry system?

Should they be part-time or full-time?

And, in hindsight, how many is too many?
I do not have them but have visited locations that do. My thoughts.

Some customers like them. Anecdotaly they do well with extra service sales.

You still need a loader. Our loader is a cashier and from published reports the loader / Cashier can load and take $ at the same rate as 2 auto cashiers. Note, we are talking realities not possibilities. Auto cashiers may be able to do transactions more quickly but I think realisticaly the human / customer factor limits them to 60 CPH each or less.

Auto cashiers have addittional mechanical issues. Have heard of things from fried circuit boards to sunlight affecting the acceptors.

You need personnel to trouble shoot the Auto cashiers. Can your loader do this? I don't know the frequency but it seems to be a neccessity at the Grocery and Home improvement store self checkouts.

I think you need at least 2 auto cashiers to handle volume and serve as a safety net. Do you have the physical layout for this?

Well done layouts seem to have an escape lane. Do you have the room for this?

I don't think I understanfd the hindsight question. Does this ask if the person who put in 3 only needed 2?

mac

Reaction score
Earl, some good observations. You are assuming however that the loader/greeter will show up on time, be sober, and not pocket any funds.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Earl, some good observations. You are assuming however that the loader/greeter will show up on time, be sober, and not pocket any funds.
Of course I have these assumptions just like assuming that the autocashier will be working in the morning, and not jam some time during the day. I can not provide info for car washes, but I have experienced glitches with these things at the grocery and home improvement store. At least they have 3-4 or more lanes so the traffic does not back up badly.

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
We have two auto sentries and no kiosk. Most of our customers enjoy the freedom of lining up, paying and moving on (more than 85 % of our business is debit card - so that is helpful). However, we have a minority of our clientele that would prefer a live person. The auto sentry can be finicky in change of temperature and humidity. You also lose the personal connection with the customer. And, we are finding out, there are tricky situations like, how do you offer a raincheck if no one is out there to greet the customer? And how will we be able to handle express detail options. The Auto sentry can offer the menu, but how will the loader know what is on the ticket when they have only a four choice LED board in the tunnel?

It does offer great cash protection.