What's new

Gas pump car wash purchase?

Etowah

wash12

Reaction score
Hi I am looking into allowing car washes to be purchased at the gas pump, my problem is I only have the wash and the c-store and gas station is owned by someone else. Is there a way to allow them to purchase at the pump but the Credit card payment goes into my account and not the gas stations bank account?

Pay station is the PDQ access B-series.

Any help would be appreciated!

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Generally speaking, 70 percent of wash sales occur at the pump as compared to counter or pay station.

Consequently, there is advantage by following best practice which is to offer a big discount on the price of gas if customer pays full price for carwash at the pump. The accounting of this is much easier to facilitate through the c-store’s operations.

This strategy would result in a higher customer attraction rate and eventually a higher customer loyalty rate as opposed to free-standing wash (current business model).

mac

Reaction score
You will have to check with PDQ to see if their pay station can do this. The Unitec models can do this. Your pay station would have to communicate with the computer at the gas station.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I did this & it was my finding , through my distributor, the C-Store & Unitec, that all told me the C-Store would get ALL the money, & would have to pay me . I felt comfortable enough w/ the C-Store owner to do this. I give them a .10 off/gal cut, then they take that out of the carwash. The rest is mine, It mounts to about 15% loss/discount.
I am linked over wirelessly w/ the gas pumps across the street.

wash12

Reaction score
I did this & it was my finding , through my distributor, the C-Store & Unitec, that all told me the C-Store would get ALL the money, & would have to pay me . I felt comfortable enough w/ the C-Store owner to do this. I give them a .10 off/gal cut, then they take that out of the carwash. The rest is mine, It mounts to about 15% loss/discount.
I am linked over wirelessly w/ the gas pumps across the street.
So for you to get paid the C-store owner has to run a report and cut you a check there is no way of the money coming to you and you give him the percentage he is due?

My worries is I am dealing with a very large corporation and everything has to go through 5 departments it seems like so for me to get my money would probably be very challenging as everything goes through corporate and the accounting aspect of it could be difficult.

soonermajic

Reaction score
That's correct. My guy o2ns 46 stores, but has the check ready the 1st of every month. Easy to deal with. His is from Nepal.
Your deal sounds pretty scary. Proceed w/ caution. Get it in writing to have your check ready by the 5th of each month.

wash12

Reaction score
That's correct. My guy o2ns 46 stores, but has the check ready the 1st of every month. Easy to deal with. His is from Nepal.
Your deal sounds pretty scary. Proceed w/ caution. Get it in writing to have your check ready by the 5th of each month.
Yes I am leaning more towards not selling at the pump, did you see a massive sales increase by offering it at the pumps or has it always been at the pumps, Im trying to figure out if its worth the headache of trying to figure this out or not. Im guessing they pump around 150k gallons a month, not sure what capture rate is I have read 1 per 100 gallons up to 1 per 500 gallons, seems like its all over the place.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Its sounds like you are scared to make money.

“….payment goes into my account and not the gas stations….” “My worries is I am dealing with a very large corporation….” “....to get my money would probably be very challenging….” ”Yes I am leaning more towards not selling at the pump….” “…..its worth the headache of trying to figure this out….”

Quite frankly, you are more worry about the accounting of things than how much more business you could do. I don’t get it.

Fuel and carwash can still produce a lot of synergy because the value proposition.

I have clients that give $0.20 and $0.25 off per gallon with full-price purchase of wash at the pump.

If you don’t like to make money, try selling the wash the convenience store corporation. The firm will know what to do with it.

soonermajic

Reaction score
If you wanna talk to me about it, text 409)200-4667
PMs are exhausting

DiamondWash

Reaction score
We have a Gas Station who sells washes for us next door and all we did was have a lawyer draw up a Partnership agreement and both parties agree to the terms which ours is the station gets 10% of total sales every 2 weeks and then they direct deposit a check to our account and then sends us a itemized report. Seems like alot of work to go through just to sell washes but it works.