What's new

Gas Prices?

edredtop

Reaction score
I had a customer tell me his buddy had to replace batteries. Cost 20k. Lol. What’s the difference between high gas over a few years and get hit with a 20 k bill?
That's a great question, but it just isn't true.
The Model Y long range has an 8 year, 120,000 mile warranty. The standard range is out of production for the past year due to high demand for the long range.
Driving a Tesla, I've been very curious to see if this is a "thing," so I constantly ask other owners every chance I get. Not one owner has had to do anything with their batteries. It always seems to be a "buddy of a guy" that's had this phenomenon.
Having the panels and car has saved us just over $10K in fuel and residential electric, April 21, to April of 22.
The residential Battery Wall saved my sanity after our So. Cal utility's multiple power outages that extended for up to 3 days and more.
Throwing out $350 to $500 in fresh food a few times a year starts to get on your nerves a little.
Making this purchase required quite a bit of research, and it has to fit the individual's needs.
It's not for everybody.

Attachments

edredtop

Reaction score
For as long as this lasts, most people will make adjustments to accommodate the extra $20-$30 or whatever to fill a tank. Cut back a little here, drive a little less, forget that meal out, whatever. I am guessing those same people (almost everyone) however, is not set up to take a $20k surprise hit to keep their car on the road. And we’ve had plenty of years where gas was reasonable - and hopefully will again sometime.
We're all car wash owners here, right?
How do you check your business less..serious question.

traveler17

Reaction score
For as long as this lasts, most people will make adjustments to accommodate the extra $20-$30 or whatever to fill a tank. Cut back a little here, drive a little less, forget that meal out, whatever. I am guessing those same people (almost everyone) however, is not set up to take a $20k surprise hit to keep their car on the road. And we’ve had plenty of years where gas was reasonable - and hopefully will again sometime.
I think it’s a great idea. I like the ford lightning but I don’t want
That's a great question, but it just isn't true.
The Model Y long range has an 8 year, 120,000 mile warranty. The standard range is out of production for the past year due to high demand for the long range.
Driving a Tesla, I've been very curious to see if this is a "thing," so I constantly ask other owners every chance I get. Not one owner has had to do anything with their batteries. It always seems to be a "buddy of a guy" that's had this phenomenon.
Having the panels and car has saved us just over $10K in fuel and residential electric, April 21, to April of 22.
The residential Battery Wall saved my sanity after our So. Cal utility's multiple power outages that extended for up to 3 days and more.
Throwing out $350 to $500 in fresh food a few times a year starts to get on your nerves a little.
Making this purchase required quite a bit of research, and it has to fit the individual's needs.
It's not for everybody.
Just telling you what the guy told me. I doubt he was lying for the fun of it. I have a ford dealership next to me and they said the same round about figure also. All the sites I’ve looked at say the same as a whole. Maybe I haven’t looked at your model 😬

traveler17

Reaction score

Just telling you what the guy told me. I doubt he was lying for the fun of it. I have a ford dealership next to me and they said the same round about figure also. All the sites I’ve looked at say the same as a whole. Maybe I haven’t looked at your model 😬
I agree though it has to fit the needs.

washnshine

Reaction score

Yes - I am all for this when it is obtainable, sustainable and realistic for the general public. The first television sets, computers etc. we’re all very unrealistic in price for the masses when they first came out.

traveler17

Reaction score
Yes - I am all for this when it is obtainable, sustainable and realistic for the general public. The first television sets, computers etc. we’re all very unrealistic in price for the masses when they first came out.
Yeah Great point. I love the idea of the idea of the ford lightning because I have to have a truck but I don’t want to be the Guinea Pig for these first generation. And I don’t know the truth to it from my reads but it sounds like finding and keeping up w the materials to make the EV batteries is nowhere close to where it needs to be. I’m 49 so by the time they have it right there will be flying cars , like the jetsons :)

washnshine

Reaction score
Yeah Great point. I love the idea of the idea of the ford lightning because I have to have a truck but I don’t want to be the Guinea Pig for these first generation. And I don’t know the truth to it from my reads but it sounds like finding and keeping up w the materials to make the EV batteries is nowhere close to where it needs to be. I’m 49 so by the time they have it right there will be flying cars , like the jetsons :)
I’m 49 too - I’ll be right there with you, buddy!

MEP001

Reaction score
I had a chance to get a Ford Maverick about a year ago, and now I wish I had. A 7-year-old base Chevy Colorado work trim truck with 60-70,000 miles will go for almost $20,000, same as a base Maverick which is a LOT nicer and gets 40 MPG city. A friend of a friend ordered a Maverick about a year ago and still hasn't gotten it, and they've stopped taking orders.

water guy

Reaction score
So much fun!
I purchased a Model Y, 8.3 kWh solar system, and two battery walls from Tesla last year.
I absolutely love it.
No more Costco gas lines, my "gas station" is on the roof.
No oil changes, no smog tests, just drive. Long trips take about 35 min to recharge which coincides with restroom visits and the need to stretch the legs out.
The solar system generates home and vehicle needs, not dependent on the utility comp
who cares!

edredtop

Reaction score
who cares!
Lol!
You're not a fan of fun or sharing experiences? (Why are you here then?)

I was responding to Kar B Kleen's comment:
"Definitely seeing the Teslas. Took a ride in a new one from a customer the other day, OMG. Major G's."
Kar's right, they really are a blast, no gear changes (shift points) just a constant power band that puts you back in your seat.

Anyway, I'm here to listen and learn, and if I can give back a little I'll try to do that as well.
Even if I get it wrong or tweak a grouch once in a while.
You should've saved this comment for tomorrow, it would've been perfect for a Monday.;)

CentralTex

Reaction score
To the original poster, our results are mixed and slightly down. YOY we are shy of last years results by about $1K and we raised prices this year. This month, though, we are slightly ahead of May 2021. 93 octane is $5.19 in my part of TX. Thanks for asking the question. I had not pondered whether gas prices might impact car wash results.

edredtop

Reaction score
While the switch to electric vehicles may be inevitable, I don't believe it will be with current battery types. There has to be a breakthrough in battery technologies first.. View attachment 6211
Totally agree with the desire to obtain next generation batteries.
Through the hard work of some very bright people, we were able to leave the gas guzzling carbureted cars of the 70's to achieve greater fuel efficiency with fuel injection, lighter materials, and crappy space saver spare tires.:D While the fuel consumed by the Cat 994H is substantial, the actual number is more like half of what is in this meme, (between 65 to 75 gph *link embedded*).
By replacing a Ford Explorer and a Chevrolet Suburban with the 'Y' to do the daily rounds, it burned zero gasoline on 21,000 miles driven this past year.
At 13.5 mpg on those two vehicles, that's approximately 1555 gallons of gas not burned for the year.
When this car reaches end of life, it will be recycled, and those minerals won't have to be mined again.
-I really hope I haven't stepped on any toes here, I just saw an opportunity to comment on something I've been really enjoying and initially was only agreeing with how fun the drive is. I had a blast driving 60's muscle cars and this really is next level fun.

All of that energy was supplied by the solar array on the roof of the residence, minus a couple of on the road charges.

MEP001

Reaction score
edredtop, post whatever you want as long as you aren't trolling or deliberately derailing a thread. I get bashed all the time for posting my opinion by people who post their own as fact, and I'm still here.

soonermajic

Reaction score
To the original poster, our results are mixed and slightly down. YOY we are shy of last years results by about $1K and we raised prices this year. This month, though, we are slightly ahead of May 2021. 93 octane is $5.19 in my part of TX. Thanks for asking the question. I had not pondered whether gas prices might impact car wash results.
Ive heard from long time wash ownsrs, that gas prices affect wash #'s considerably !
I know we're up on income slightly, but only cause we raised all prices.

edredtop

Reaction score
Yup, they can absolutely help!
Cameras are one of the most valuable tools I've had in this business, but I still haven't figured how to get one to sweep the lot or empty a trash can.
😉

Reactions: sjb

Dixievixen89

Reaction score
YTD we are on par with 2021. Cash SS and auto sales are down a bit, credit card auto sales are down a tiny bit and SS credit card sales are up. We raised our SS price several months ago so that plays into it. While most consumers are concerned with gas prices because they see it directly affect them they really should be concerned with diesel prices. Farm machinery, semi trucks, trains and cargo ships all use it. Jet fuel is very similar to diesel and it is up over 100% from last year so go ahead and add planes to the list. Our current administration says that if we all drove electric cars we would not feel the pinch. Yeah right. FJB.
Our cash ss took a major hit and we got out before we lost our tails... Was Ina low income very high crime area

Dixievixen89

Reaction score
Yup, they can absolutely help!
Cameras are one of the most valuable tools I've had in this business, but I still haven't figured how to get one to sweep the lot or empty a trash can.
😉
[/QUOTE
We couldn't find anything who actually wanted to work...
We paid $200 cash a week plus free use of one of the straps anytime...all we needed was trash emptied and the place cleaned once a day Tuesday through Saturday.
Everybody wanted the money and free washes but they didn't want to clean up

CarWashBoy

Reaction score
I had a customer tell me his buddy had to replace batteries. Cost 20k. Lol. What’s the difference between high gas over a few years and get hit with a 20 k bill?
Perhaps he had a very first one 2012? Batteries have a 8 Year Warranty.. I still have 7 years left on my Battery Warranty.. I will not even own it for another 2-3 yrs..no worries here..